Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Burn Pclos Live Cd

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 333nnn

333nnn

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

Compaq Presario 5000, Model 5BW220, Made 7/19/00, Windows XP Pro, 15 Gig master drive, 37 Gig slave drive, 512 MB RAM, 631 MHz Intel Celeron processor, Compaq 06C0 motherboard

I downloaded the PCLos live cd with Bitcomet. Somehow with Nero I was able to get PCLos onto my master drive. It is named Image.nrg, and the pop up window says it's a disk image. I can't figure out how to burn it onto a cd as an image using Nero. When I double click on Image.nrg, which is in My Documents, Nero starts up. Thanks for any replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:21 AM

Have a look at this: http://wings.buffalo.edu/computing/documen...ress.html#image

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:55 AM

that unit only came with a 40x cd-rom
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:05 AM

Ah, well that would complicate matters, wouldn't it? In that case, you'll either need to find a PC with a CD burner (maybe a friend's computer?) or you can buy a PCLinuxOS cd from http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/manufa...products_id/255 for $6 (note: I have never used the service and I cannot vouch for it)

There are some places that offer free CD's that they'll mail to you, but all the one's I'm aware of aren't accepting new requests at the moment. If you're not tied to PCLinuxOS, then Ubuntu offers a free CD through their ShipIt program at https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ but that can take a few weeks to arrive.

You may want to seek out your local Linux User Group, they may be willing to give you a CD (and having other Linux users nearby can be helpful in other ways too). Just Google "Linux User Group" with your city name, e.g. "San Francisco Linux User Group" or "London Linux User Group" etc.

#5 333nnn

333nnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:59 PM

I replaced the cd-rom with a burner a long time ago. I was able to burn PCLos onto a cd with your link. How do I get it to run? Just double click on PCLos from the drive? To run the Ubuntu live cd I burned it just started when I restarted the computer, but when I restarted the computer with the PCLos burned cd in the drive Windows simply started. Thanks for any replies.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:50 PM

As I understand it, you should be able to just reboot with the CD. If that's not working, your CD may be bad, or even the ISO you downloaded could be bad. Try burning the ISO again. If that doesn't work, you can try downloading the ISO again and burning that.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:58 PM

the last place i would go to down a linux distro would be bitcomet/torrent/P2P

and if I did I would be very skeptical of someone using nero to make an image

http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=...s&Itemid=28

these downloads are all iso's

I like imgburn since all you do is click on the iso or select it thru the gui and it knows what to do and you don't end up burning a data cd with the iso on it
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:42 PM

I downloaded the PCLos live cd with Bitcomet. Somehow with Nero I was able to get PCLos onto my master drive. It is named Image.nrg, and the pop up window says it's a disk image. I can't figure out how to burn it onto a cd as an image using Nero.

The .nrg file format is a nero thing , that's not the same as a .iso . I'd highly suggest you re-download from one of the links DaChew gave you. IIRC nero somewhat hides the "burn as image" option , once you burn your cd pop it back in and "look" at it from the Cd drive as you should have 3 entry's, a folder that says "boot", one that says isolinux and a file "livecd.sgfs" , if you just have the one it probably got burnt as a file ( BTDT ) not as a image. I used nero (free ver.) only a couple times as I hated it. you can right click on it to start nero but you will still have to look through the drop down menus to find "burn as image" probably
HTH

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users