Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp/vista File Sharing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mbach_007

mbach_007

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:07 PM

I have a desktop with Windows XP SP2 and my laptop has Vista Home Primium 64 bit. I have Norton Internet security 2008 installed on each computer. I managed to get my desktop to show on the network map in vista, but I cannot connect to my shared folders on my desktop. In my desktop, it will not see my laptop in Network places. I have both firewalls turned off, but still nothing. I have file and print sharing turned on in each computer. Both computers are set to the same workgroup. What am I doing wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:57 AM

Have you read this document and made the necessary changes?

File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

Pay attention to the Password Sharing section further down the page. Also verify that your workgroups are the same, that you have file sharing enabled on Vista, and that the folder in question is actually shared. Also verify that the same userid and password is defined on both systems and that user has access to the shared folder.

#3 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:52 PM

I have a desktop with Windows XP SP2 and my laptop has Vista Home Primium 64 bit. I have Norton Internet security 2008 installed on each computer. I managed to get my desktop to show on the network map in vista, but I cannot connect to my shared folders on my desktop. In my desktop, it will not see my laptop in Network places. I have both firewalls turned off, but still nothing. I have file and print sharing turned on in each computer. Both computers are set to the same workgroup. What am I doing wrong?

Hi mbach,

Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding.

In order to successfully enable file sharing with Norton Internet Security 2008 on Vista, you should follow the instructions that Baric posted. You should then open Norton Internet Security and enable the Norton Firewall, but keep the Windows Firewall turned off. Please follow the instructions in the following document to configure the Norton Firewall to trust the computers on your network.

Configure Norton Firewall

Please follow the instructions in the document carefully after you configure File Sharing in Vista and let me know if this resolves your issue.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#4 mbach_007

mbach_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:37 PM

I was able to access my shares without the browse button, but now my printer will not print. It was successful in setting it up, but will not print the test page. Any ideas. God vista sucks.

#5 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

I was able to access my shares without the browse button, but now my printer will not print. It was successful in setting it up, but will not print the test page. Any ideas. God vista sucks.

Hi mbach,

Unless your printer is connected via Ethernet and shows up in the "Trusted Devices List" the ability to share a printer will not be affected by the Norton Firewall. If it is a shared printer connected via USB, I would suggest searching for a solution on the Microsoft support site.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users