Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading And Opening .pdf Files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 duxfordmemory

duxfordmemory

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:11 PM

Hello,
I`m new to iMac, what do you all recommend for software to download .pdf files and open them? Much appreciate any help. Thanks.

Duxfordmemory

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:26 PM

Preview, which is built into OS X can read PDFs. So you dont need any now software. As for downloading, Im not shure what youre talking about. Its like downloading any other file.
Posted Image

#3 duxfordmemory

duxfordmemory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:59 PM

Hi TVT,
Wrong choice of words on my part. I have no problem downloading PDF files as you say. I DO have a problem opening them however. Upon downloading the pdf file, how do you go about using Preview to open it? I`ve tried opening Preview by clicking on it-no luck. I`ve tried dragging the pdf file and dropping it on the Preview icon-no luck. What am I missing?

Duxfordmemory

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 05:26 PM

I'm not familiar with the Mac but, just for curiousity, what happens when you RightClick on the file?

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:24 PM

Do you know what, if anything, does open them by default?

To open one with preview, right-click(ctrl-click) on the pdf and go "open with", and select preview.
Posted Image

#6 duxfordmemory

duxfordmemory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:13 PM

To rowal5555 and TVT:
Thanks for the response people. I right click on the pdf file and this is the message I get: "Couldn`t open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format Preview doesn`t recognize. I`ve tried a number of pdf files with the same result. Any more ideas before I throw in the towel and go back to my PC?

#7 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:26 PM

Thats weird. Try downloading Acrobat Reader

Are the pdfs all from the same source?

Edited by TVT, 04 May 2008 - 09:30 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:22 AM

That is weird. I have no problems opening PDF files with Preview. Maybe the PDF downloads were corrupted or didn't download correctly. When you download a PDF look at the size of the PDF being downloaded, and when it has finished downloading right click on the file then Get Info. Are the sizes the same?
Safari browser can load PDF files for viewing without downloading them.
Can you post a link to one of the PDF files so I can try downloading and opening it with Preview.

#9 duxfordmemory

duxfordmemory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:08 PM

To one and all,
I downloaded Acrobat reader and got the same result, possibly corrupt files, etc. Before I get too carried away, I`ll take another look at file size, source, and the steps I`ve employed in my unsuccessful attempts. I may not be able to resolve this issue right away as I`m leaving for two weeks as of tomorrow. Regardless, thank you all for your input.

Duxfordmemory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users