Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Update & Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:37 PM

Hi :thumbsup:

I have always wanted to know the difference between Microsoft Update and Windows Update. To me they are the same thing - I can't see any difference. THis also leads up to why in the Programs menu it has a link to MS Update and Windows Update.

Anyone know?

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

Microsoft has more than just it's Windows OS as a product. For example, Office and all it's various stand alone componets. All the various incarnations of server software, just to name a few. They are all Microsoft products that need updates, just like Windows.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

Ok yeah I understand that but how come those two links int eh start menu both lead to the exact same place?

David

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:06 PM

Because thats where all the updates are. I update my OS then my office products as needed from that link.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:12 PM

Ahk now I understand you :thumbsup:

But why did Microsoft put two links that are identical and next to each other and they both lead to the same place:

Here is a screenshot:

Posted Image

David

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

According to Microsoft:

Microsoft Update is a service that helps you keep Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, and other programs current.

It supports Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000 SP3 or later, and Windows Server 2003.

It provides updates for Microsoft Office 2007, Microsoft Office XP, Microsoft Office 2003, Microsoft SQL Server, and Microsoft Exchange Server.

Windows Update is a service that helps you keep Microsoft Windows current. It supports Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000 SP3 or later, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 SP2 or earlier, Windows Me, Windows 98, Windows 95, and Windows NT Workstation 4.0 current

In the great scheme of things, Microsoft Updates is fairly new. Used to be for updates to other MS services was seperate from Windows updates. I recall the days when I had to go to Office Updates to get whatever was available for Office.
Microsoft Updates combines them all in one place.
The reason you see both of them is easy-Windows Updates is added to the start menu as a part of Windows.
When you use it for the first time, Microsoft Update is installed on your computer, thus putting it on the start menu also.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 May 2008 - 08:21 PM.

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for that :flowers:

I can always rely on you guys :thumbsup:

David

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:03 PM

If you don't want both of them on the start menu, remove one of them. I don't like a cluttered start menu, so I remove the link for Windows Updates.

#9 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:08 PM

No it isn't that, it is just that i was curious why they would put both in the start menu :thumbsup:

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users