Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla Firefox and Opera 7 complementary browsers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 harrywaldron

harrywaldron

Security Reporter

• Members
  • 509 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 17 April 2004 - 05:48 AM

I'd like to share that using alternate browsers like Mozilla Firefox and Opera 7 are less vulnerable than Internet Explorer to adware, spyware, and security exploits.

I use Internet Explorer and while it remains my default browser, so that key dependant Windows functions continue to work well. There are also a few sites that will only work with IE. However, I use Firefox and Opera for most of my browsing needs.

Thus, I wanted to share with the members, that you can have all 3 running simultaneously with ZERO issues (unless you're on a very old PC with limited RAM). For example, I use Opera 7 with built-in tabular browsing for most forum postings. I use Mozilla Firefox for all email and most general browsing. I also use IE on most trusted sites and for secure transactional sites requiring IE.

While some folks are zealous on uninstalling IE or using one browser over the other, I personally like using the best qualities of all three. Below are some articles I've written on this in the past for more information.

CURRENT VERSIONS
http://www.mozilla.org/
http://www.opera.com/download/

Mozilla Firefox 0.8+ latest beta
http://www.myitforum.com/forums/tm.asp?m=48578

Opera 7.50 latest preview version (beta)
http://www.myitforum.com/forums/tm.asp?m=49157

Mozilla and Opera as complementary Browsers
http://www.myitforum.com/forums/tm.asp?m=22544

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:39 AM

I also use Mozilla.org, but it is my default browser. I have found it faster, with more features I use (tabbed browsing, cookie manager.etc) than IE, and it has virtually eliminated any annoying pop-ups. Being open source, Mozilla adds new features and enhancements about once every quarter;while IE has not changed in a long time,a new release of Mozilla is due very soon. My own feeling is that Mozilla is a lot more secure than IE---this may be the result of its relative small user base or of its being open source.

This being said, it is still necessary to retain IE, since it is needed by the Windows Operating System---and therefore cannot be uninstalled---and some sites, most notably those by MS, only work with IE. Because of all the hooks between IE and Windows, even if you do not use IE, it is imperative that all IE critical security updates be installed.

Regards to all,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:52 AM

Firefox is the easiest to use and has tabbed browsing and seems to be fast and secure. But it is not an Email program. You can use it to read your online email but you need to load Thunderbird (Firebird's companion email program) if you want to replace OE.

Mozilla does include an email program.

#4 magicmunchkin

magicmunchkin

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:40 PM

Hi,
I'd love to try Mozilla but alas :thumbsup: My connection is always so slow that it would take me about 45 min to download it!!! But.....maybe one day i'll get a "wild hair" and just let it download. Sounds like a nifty little browser!
Magic
Have a Great Day!!!

#5 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:19 PM

magicmunchkin you might start with Firefox it is not as big a download as Mozilla. You add the extras that fit your needs one at a time after you get the main program installed.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:22 PM

For a very nominal charge, Mozilla.org will provide a disk with whichever product you wish on it; this would eliminate downloading anything but the necessary plugins. I would wait ten days after the new release of Mozilla (first week in June, I think) and order a copy on disk.
Regards,
John

#7 d_may

d_may

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:18 PM

I downloaded the latest version of Foxfire and Thunderbird this last week of June 2004 and I love it. Had no problem with the E-mail set-up.
Works just like outlook express, but with out the security fears I had with outlook express.
The Foxfire browser is fast, very fast . I do not download the nightly builds.
i wonder why MS doesn't update IE?
d_may

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2004 - 01:06 PM

Do NOT download the nightly builds, since these are for developers working on the NEXT version of the program. Only download those versions which Mozilla calls "stable" since these have undergone and passed bug testing. Being opensource, the Mozilla community believe in releasing updated versions as often as possible, generally three to four times a year.
Regards,
John

#9 gaelic123

gaelic123

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2004 - 05:40 PM

I'm currently running a previous version of Firefox. From what I understand, I have to uninstall this earlier version before downloading Firefox.9, but I'm not sure how to save my bookmarks and plugins.

Is it true that I have to uninstall? Is it worth it to do so? I really love Firefox and I wonder, "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" kind of comes to mind.

If I do decide to make the change, can anyone give me step by step instructions? I really need them to be basic. I'm not very computer literate, and I'd hate to louse up a system that has been working so well for me.

Thanks in advance,

Mary
Dell XPS 933Mhz processor, 256 RAM, Windows98se, Linksys Cable/DSL Router,
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

#10 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2004 - 09:48 PM

gaelic123 yes it is a very good idea to uninstall the old version before loading FF.9. But you do not need to upgrade at all, especially if you have it tweaked the way you like it.

Basically they have incorporated some of the extensions. Really does not seem to be much in the way of improvement. Which probably means the changes are so esoteric that tyros (beginners!) don't notice them.

IF you decide to live on the cutting edge it is really easy. Go to your Control Panel> Remove Programs & find Mozilla Fire..whatever one you have. Uninstall there. Then go to your Programs Folder and delete the Mozilla Firefox folder completely.

Firefox will automatically bring your Favorites into the new installation for you from your old Profile. In XP your personal settings are in a folder under C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Application Data\Mozilla and they will still be there even after you uninstall the old program folder.

If you do make the change, you will probably have to get Shockwave again. And download any of the special extensions you had before for the newer edition.

#11 gaelic123

gaelic123

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2004 - 08:48 AM

Bluie,

Thanks for the information. I think I'll just leave well enough alone until there are more reasons to change.

Thanks again,

Mary

Edited by gaelic123, 30 June 2004 - 08:49 AM.

Dell XPS 933Mhz processor, 256 RAM, Windows98se, Linksys Cable/DSL Router,
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

#12 harrywaldron

harrywaldron

Security Reporter

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 509 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 30 June 2004 - 04:56 PM

New Mozilla Firefox 0.9.1 version

With all the recent IE vulnerabilities, it's been a little more Mozilla Firebird 0.9.1 and a little less IE 6 SP1 for me - lol ;)

A new version of Firefox is now available. I really like the new theme and chrome objects. It's working great for me after loading yesterday.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...releases/0.9.1/

#13 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:59 PM

Mozilla.org quite specifically tells user to uninstall the old version before installing the new one. The profile---where your bookmarks,etc. are stored--- will not be touched if you simply uninstall the older version of Firefox (or Mozilla), and you should not have to re-install any of the helper applications such as JavaRuntimeEnvironment.
Regards,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users