Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fans...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 speytone

speytone

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:57 PM

aside from taking my computer apart is there a way i can find out the make and model of my cooling fan?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 speytone

speytone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:01 PM

Duh.

I just answered my own question....

I looked thru the holes in the back.

Man. Long day.

EDIT: it is a JMC/Datech 9232-12HBTL-2 DC 12V 0.85A

apparently i cant just buy a replacement fan for this? Ive read it has a built-in thermal sensor and tach pickup? Is there any truth to this? The Computer is a Dell Dimension 4600? Id love to have a fix for this. Its not for work its for my best girls P.C. so i need brownie points.

Edited by speytone, 02 May 2008 - 07:13 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:44 PM

http://www.motherboardpoint.com/t41908-rep...asecpu-fan.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006052010832

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dime...7-30529709.html

If it were me, I'd just go with a reliable 3d-party fan/heatsink for P4s, rather than going to original equipment. But, that's just me...

Louis

#4 speytone

speytone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:49 PM

I got my eye on one at tirgerdirect.ca...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/sea...mp;body=QA#tabs

I'm hoping that may suffice. I have read alot of lame stuff in regards to the wiring of this particular fan to the motherboard....

Leave it to dell to complicate things.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:51 PM

I've never owned a Dell system...but I thought that the plugin for CPU fans was standard on each motherboard, regardless of model.

I read that same bit about the wiring, don't know what it's all about....maybe one of the persons who work on Dells (or have one) can shed some light.

Louis

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

Well is it a case fan or a processor fan you are having a problem with? The fan you picked out is a case fan and will do you no good if your having a processor fan problem, and vice-versa.

Aside from that dell comment, yeah they like to complicate things. I'm currently working with a network of about 12 Dell Optiplex 4800 I believe it is. Taking a look at the processor cooling system its a heat sink without a fan on top of it. Dell solution? Affix a case fan and put a piece of plastic bridging from the case fan over the heat sink. Not very effective runs at 50C+
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:09 PM

I just worked on a Dell dimension E310 (I think thats what it was) it had the same setup. No heat sink fan just a case fan blowing across the heat sink. Not sure what the connector for the fan was I never took it out. You should be able to look up the repair guides on Dells support website. You will need the system ID off the back of your computer. This is the standard pinout for CPU and case fans.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users