Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

more irritating than dangerous (I hope)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wizardofaus

wizardofaus

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:14 AM

I updated windows ME a couple of days ago.

Ever since, I get "wininit.exe missing/unable to load. preass any key to continue"

I do so and ME loads

however, I get "windows cannot find '.P'. you may have typed the name incorrectly in the run dialog" window.

Having researched this, I suspected I had wolff.16 or bymer, but spybot, spyhunter and AVG free all tell me Im clean

nor do I have
[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices]
MSINIT=c:\windows\system\msxxx.exe

Have I actually been infected and removed the infection and this is just a legacy of that, or do I really have a problem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:30 AM

Hi wizardofaus and welcome to BC

This is a legacy of the infection. Microsoft has issued a KB dealing with this issue that requires you you to delete this file in Dos and then extract a new copy from your ME CD. See Error Message: Wininit.exe Cannot Be Run from Within Windows.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for that - a weight off my mind. I ws pretty sure I had it beat, but this was only the second attack Ive suffered in 9 years of continuous internet use (hey - im sensible - what more can I say?!?!?) and the world of actually removing these things is still a black art to me

Unfortunately.....as I bought this computer as a second user I have neither the ME floppy or the CD to sort this properly as per the microsoft page

Any ideas as to a workaround?

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:37 AM

That MS KB has a temporary workaround that involves editing the win.ini file to disable the load= line that loads the virus. They state that this may make you more vunerable to viruses and hackers but I don't see how. If I had your problem I would do it.

I may be able to get you a copy of wininit.exe as it is just a small file and can be emailed. If so, then you could simply overwrite your current one in Dos. Click on the PM button at the bottom of this box and send me your email address and I will get back to you.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:59 AM

Hey ,an aussie flying the Union Jack?yeah,irritation;we're finding the spin Dr (Warne)pretty irritating @ the mo.He's dangerous!As to your missing file puzzle-
not unusual after an installation to have a few missing.If you have the patience,
run setup again @ least once:I setup M.E. FOUR times before it settled in;will do
whenever it has a problemo.Fine now,but configuring files&setting up,updating
files;installing hardware wasn't a breeze for the old box.Each time something
xtra was added,nice surprise really.It's got to be right before proceeding with
other remedies,like no point in system restore function if system is'nt right
in the first place.ALTHOUGH you Could try getting into DOS &Running scanreg/fix:
might find its way in DOS.You know the procedure right?I love DOS for trouble-
shooting:have you a start up disk(floppy) if not make one now;it'll come in handy
when you need it.Insert in A drive &start;choose "without CD support" when comes up;wait for "A" prompt;TYPE A:scanreg/fix-it will find or fix system files.
Remove floppy @next"A";press ctrl;alt ;delete-hold down ctrl@ beep;leave on normal start(1)&hit enter @20 sec mark.Cross you fingers.If it freezes @ screen &
drive stops chattering start again with Ctrl ;alt Delete but choose Stepx Step-Enter.
At each prompt hit enter -until it "configures mouse"-hit enter & relax.It should
enter Win. after a while.Try it & I hope 1 or other works.Cheers.

#6 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:12 AM

I started using this nick 10years ago when I was in Aus - now back in the UK, and just about to start a winnng ashes campaign, no doubt - Shaney will get RSI from sending dirty texts and it will be a whitewash. :thumbsup:

Would much appreciate a startup disk - not having any of the software is the only bad thing about buying second user machines. I should buy an ME cd.but Im cheap

Edited by wizardofaus, 28 March 2005 - 02:25 PM.

#7 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:36 PM

OK

I did the startup disk thing which didnt work :thumbsup: I still get both messages.

I also did the adding a " ; " thing on win.ini

That didnt work either

now Im bemused..........

#8 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:15 PM

fixed it!! :thumbsup:

I renamed wininit.ini "winint.xxx" in safe mode, and all the warnings disappeared

thanks to all involed

all Im worried by is..............have I hidden the problem or actually solved it - and how can I tell?

#9 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:24 PM

Good for you mate:now you can make a start up (boot)disk.Go to control Panel-Add/ Remove Programs.Click Start Up Disk tab,&follow instructions.DOS commands /to access utilities are very syntax sensitive;ie have to cross the t's
&dot the i's&and use the right switches.SCANDISK ,EDIT,FORMAT,F DISK &SYS
are all available in DOS(from the floppy)+it loads all drivers needed.If you type
any of these with..../? you will get instructions.Also in a pinch Scanreg/fix...
/restore...&scanreg/BACKUP are available.Scanreg/Comment is useful too.
Scandisk C:/ALL..../CHECKONLY..../SURFACE.../CUSTOM are excellent for mending files,registry and disk surface.A few other things occured to me to fix
Win ini,but you can get HELP menu now I hope.Look under trouble shooting&
Selective Start Up.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:34 AM

all Im worried by is..............have I hidden the problem or actually solved it - and how can I tell?

By all rights that machine shouldn't boot. I have emailed a copy of wininit.exe. Just save the attachment in the same folder where the renamed one is after you unzip it. If all works well after a few boots then go ahead and delete the renamed one. It is also ok to just leave it there if you want to keep it for a backup.

#11 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:02 AM

By all rights that machine shouldn't boot.

Now that's what I would have assumed..........

I got that from microsoft KB and the machine has never booted faster (well - certainly not in the past 4 days..........)

I have always had problems with system restore, but seeings I was never confident in this machines system I just never bothered with it.

Time to establish a restore point I think! I will keep that new wininit.exe and load it if I encounter problems down the track.

The amusing thing is.........my extended family think Im a PC guru. If only they knew! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users