Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Problem...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jbrdbr111

jbrdbr111

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:16 PM

I'm having this video problem, and seems more obvious at first in the 2D game as shown below
Posted Image

But say in call of duty, it seems ok, sometimes jerky motions, but the main thing in COD, is every now and then everything accept my gun goes black and I have to keep moving around till everything re-appears..

But as you see in the picture, is that a hardware or software issue? It was working fine until the other day, then it started acting up.. Any Ideas, I'm frustrated... :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:22 PM

Did you ever run a clean install of windows since you cloned that old hard drive and put in your new computer?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 jbrdbr111

jbrdbr111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:24 PM

umm. I don't think so, I think the most I did was repair or something along those lines..

So should I un-install all of my drivers, or leave them the same and just re-install windows? And will that get rid of the lines and other problems?

One thing I don't get is that everything has been working great since I had gotten the clone correct, and never had the problems until a few days ago..

Edited by jbrdbr111, 02 May 2008 - 05:48 PM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:53 PM

This is going to be difficult to understand but what you did was iffy at best, before the clone you should have removed all devices from device manager, those old drivers are still installed and wrecking havoc with windows, you start to see some if you show hidden devices in device manager

After installing the clone drive you still probably had a corrupted windows OS to work with, loading to safe mode and then installing the motherboard drivers in the right order might have helped

It would be best to start over from scratch and cut your losses and do a clean install

If you decide to go that route there are a few tricks you need to know, this stuff is way more complicated that people think.
Chewy

#5 jbrdbr111

jbrdbr111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:05 PM

dam.. I have to find a way to backup all my data, I got a ton of crap... But if I can, what tricks etc do I need to know?

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:21 PM

I would start with my bios, get to know what all those settings are for, turn off useless crud you never use. leave what needs to be auto alone and learn where specific settings need to be manually entered

It took me about 10 years to get to where I just take all this for granted, technology changes and you have to keep up.
Chewy

#7 jbrdbr111

jbrdbr111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:26 PM

I don't have 10 years to find a resolution though..lol.. Plus Will a clean install and going through all of this crap fix the lines or no? I mean could it be the hardware itself? I would hate to go through possibly parting with many files I have no way of backing up, and re-installing and configuring everything from scratch only to have this error happen again because of the hardware..

Because as I said, since the clone was successful over 2 months ago, I never had a problem until recently the past 2-3days, and I've changed nothing, so if it was a problem with other drivers needing to be deleted, etc how come everything has worked just fine until a few days ago?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:31 PM

well your audio drivers were giving you a fit last april 6?

yes, you might have a bad motherboard or a bad video card

that's why I partition my hard drive into a system partition and a data partition so i can reload windows without losing my data
Chewy

#9 jbrdbr111

jbrdbr111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:55 PM

Are there any tests I can run to determine hardware problems, Before I try formatting and clean installing and all??

#10 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:14 PM

other than Start>Run>dxdiag i don't know lol

#11 jbrdbr111

jbrdbr111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:57 PM

I got it working right, I was private messaged about CCleaner , so I ran that and flashed my bios to the latest version and it all seems to be working fine now.. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users