Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Failure

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:10 PM

So I've had my laptop for about a year now, and this is the 5th time this has happened.

I've had to reformat my hard drive too many times, and I'm getting sick of it. Here's what happens:
I reformat my computer, install all but the XP base system and windows updates, VS2005, Office 2007, and a few little extra apps. Everything works just fine for about a month or two, and then I get the slowdown.

The slowdown means the cpu light on my hard drive is staying solid lit. Disk access isn't necessarily slow, but accessing certain things is unbearable. Not to mention startup from cold takes about 3-4 minutes (sitting at the Windows Loading screen). Music slows down the system the most, dragging out one second to about 30 (and it's really choppy).

I've run hard disk scans: chkdsk, seatools, and I even have IOBit Smart Defrag running in the background optimizing (And I know that's not the problem because it's done it 3 times before I installed IOBit). It slows down so badly that the only thing I can think to do is reformat, and I've done that 5 times so far.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Out of all the computers I've ever worked with, this is the only one I've ever seen this issue with.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

(At any rate, I worked out a deal with the place I bought the laptop from and I'm upgrading to a 160GB 7200rpm drive for updating their website. So we'll see if it's the hard drive or how I'm running it in a week or so.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:11 PM

When you reload the OS on it are you using the disk from the laptop manufacture? It usually contains a load of bloatware and almost all of it is set to run at startup. Add the programs that you install to the fray and there's plenty there to slow you down
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

Start>Run>msconfig>Selective Startup>uncheck load startup items, apply click ok. Restart your comp, tell windows to quit whining when ya get the popup manually start up your antivirus/firewall and it will be the only thing that takes it upon itself to start.

*edit for nowcrappy keyboard messing with my spelling*

Edited by smurfgod, 02 May 2008 - 06:34 PM.

#4 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:45 PM

It's a completely clean install of XP Professional, MSDN version. There's nothing else running that I haven't put on myself.

And even so, I'm running with 2GB of memory that I installed myself (That's not the issue, because I had to reformat twice with the original memory too).

Right now I'm running the command "sfc /scannow" and it's going through the system files. I'm trying to rule everything out software-wise, so I know it's hard drive issues and not something I put on it.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

I would take a hard look at what is installed...and running constantly.

Any programs which purport to back up the system continuously...running indexing...using System Restore...scheduled AV scans...scheduled malware scans...programs like Symantec's Norton series...and any/all startup items would be my initial focus.

And...then there's malware possibilities.

You can use Task Manager to see what processes/applications are running when you perceive a slowdown, that should provide some bona fide clues.

Louis

#6 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:52 PM

I would take a hard look at what is installed...and running constantly.

Any programs which purport to back up the system continuously...running indexing...using System Restore...scheduled AV scans...scheduled malware scans...programs like Symantec's Norton series...and any/all startup items would be my initial focus.

And...then there's malware possibilities.

You can use Task Manager to see what processes/applications are running when you perceive a slowdown, that should provide some bona fide clues.

Louis

That's the thing. Task Manager doesn't show anything at all out of the ordinary. I even ran HijackThis! and didn't find anything that was weird. I take good care of my computer, I'm the only user, and I know suspicious activity when I see it, and I don't see anything other than an extreme system slowdown which isn't reflected in the CPU or memory usage.

Autoruns shows nothing weird either. AVG has never had a bad report. I'm pretty sure if I ran a malware scan it'd come up with 0 entries.

*One more thing - I don't have internet at home, so I rarely do any browsing on this thing. And I use this laptop for work, so the browsing that I do do is for help with Visual Studio*

I'm this close to a reformat. Everything's backed up. I know that a reformat will fix things, but for how long?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:01 PM

Sounds pretty strange...when you run chkdsk, you are running chkdsk /r, right?

Without the /r or /f (included in /r), all chkdsk does is read, doesn't fix anything.

Louis

#8 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:18 PM

Sounds pretty strange...when you run chkdsk, you are running chkdsk /r, right?

Without the /r or /f (included in /r), all chkdsk does is read, doesn't fix anything.

Louis

Of course. I started running it at noon and it didn't finish until 5. It found not a single error. I guess it ran slow because the disk has been doing so for no reason.

I'm going to reformat tomorrow. It'll be a temporary fix, because I'm getting my new hard drive later this week.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

5 hours to run chkdsk /r on a laptop hard drive?

Either that's an extremely large partition...or that drive has some problems that took time to work around. Usually (in my experience) that's a sign of bad sectors and data having to be moved from bad to good sectors on the HD.

Keep us posted...

Louis

#10 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:50 PM

5 hours to run chkdsk /r on a laptop hard drive?

Either that's an extremely large partition...or that drive has some problems that took time to work around. Usually (in my experience) that's a sign of bad sectors and data having to be moved from bad to good sectors on the HD.

Keep us posted...

Louis

My first thought was bad sectors, but

The drive is only an 80gb. I did a full format and reinstall of XP Pro w/sp2 and it's running better than what I thought was running well.

I'm getting a 160GB 7200RPM drive this week. Hopefully this'll be the permanent fix.

#11 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:34 PM

Heres a few dumb questions for you that I didn't see asked.

1. Are you keeping your computer defragged?

2. Is it overheating at all?

If not try a different HDD if you have one laying around. Or check your processor because that could be bottlenecking your computer.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:50 PM

I'd run the manufacturer's long test on it...after getting the new drive and moving everything from the old.

Louis

#13 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:30 AM

Heres a few dumb questions for you that I didn't see asked.

1. Are you keeping your computer defragged?

2. Is it overheating at all?

If not try a different HDD if you have one laying around. Or check your processor because that could be bottlenecking your computer.

I use a program called IOBit Smart Defrag that automatically defrags when the usage is below a point. I know the program isn't causing the problem because the first few times the slowdown happened I didn't have it.

I also have a cooling pad that I use that has fans on the base and it keeps the laptop relatively cool.

My processor is an intel Core Duo @ 1.7ghz. It could be bottlenecking, but I've used systems at minimum requirements for XP and they still run faster than this thing has been.

#14 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:23 AM

hooray for new issues!

The DVD drive isn't working.

All this adds up to a possible motherboard issue. I'm going to talk with the place I bought it and see if I can't get this all resolved.

Even with a new hard drive, I can't install anything without a disc drive.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:57 PM

Keep us posted...

I don't ever advise anyone to buy laptops, even though the mobility aspect is great for many...too hard to troubleshoot issues which can be easily remedied on desktops.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users