Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 1402 I Cannot Open A Needed Registry Key

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:24 PM

BleepingComputer.com > All posts by a member

Error 1402 Tells Me I Do Not Have The Access
Heartbeat85
View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Posts Posted on: Apr 23 2008, 01:44 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 204,867

Hi Folks ! My Computer is running Windows XP Home SP2.I keep getting this error when trying to download a program.Spamfighter, for example.It says " Error 1402 HKEY_LOCAL_\Machine\Local\CurrentVersion\Run .That's very,very, close to what it says. Current Verion/Run,you are unable to access the key,you do not have correct authorization/permissions.Contact support if needed.Can anybody tell me how to correct this problem ? ( 2) Everytime I try to install Embarq/Sprint Virtual Assistant I keep getting the same dang message.Virtual Assistant is already installed on your Computer.Please click o.k. to exit the set up.Tjis happens despite me removiny any Virtual Assistant componets left including:program files,Desktop,Under window,My documents and setting.Even doing a searcf for all VAEasyInstaller files.Virtual Assistant .exe files.zip files,recycle bin.You name it Funny once the download starts off the Embarq High speed Internet support page,it will run about 2-3 minutes at max when I get this popup notification. aboyt error 1402 etc.,ALSO it DOES download to program files because it is copying new files when this happens.But it never runs long enough to show in my add/remove programs or either there is a remant of the old Vitrual Assistant somewhere.Only GOD knows I think.It's been awefully frustrating.Can somebody help ? Computer is the same I mentioned earlier.Oh I could pull my hair out ! Thanks in advance guys.Sincerely,Heartbeat85 (Dennis) By the way I am using I.E. 7.0.

2003-2008 All Rights Reserved Bleeping Computer LLC.

Powered By IP.Board 2008 IPS, Inc.

Edited by garmanma, 03 May 2008 - 08:56 AM.
removed email address

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:19 PM

Hi, and welcome to Bleepincomputer.
Thank you with the detailed explanation.
Please read here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687
Also where did you download Spamfighter? Try downloading it from here: http://www.spamfighter.com/Product_Info.asp or
http://www.download.com/SPAMfighter-Spam-F...4-10200268.html

Try looking for Embarq/Sprint Virtual Assistant at the registry and uninstalling/removing it.
  • Press Start>Run>type in regedit
  • navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and find the folder
  • BEFORE DELETING IT, Right click on the folder you are going to delete and click Export
  • A box should appear, save the backup file anywhere you like perferably your desktop
  • Once you have made a backup, you can safely delete that program by right clicking the folder and press delete
Now try downloading the program again. Try multiple sites not just one try another site to see if that works.

Edit: spelling mistake
Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 02 May 2008 - 04:20 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:33 PM

you could also try system restore to roll back to before this problem started?

guide with pictures for you

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

#4 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:36 AM

Hey folks,I tried everything.Microsoft.Steps 1 thru 4Your suggestions about downloading from different sites and systems restore.Could not have any luck.I cannot download Spamfighter,Adobe Reader 8.1.2 or Virtual Assistant.The first two give me error 1402 except on Adobe Reader 8.1.2 download it says HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\MicrosoftWindows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponets\MSFS.This Optional Componets I ould not find in the Registry or Virtual Assistant which always tells me the same thing after 1-2 minutes.Virtual Assistant is already installed.Please click ok to exit the setup.Both the 1402 Errors continue to say Verify that you have sufficiemt access to that key or contact support personnel.I even turned off my PCSecurity Shield ,Windows Firewall, and PrivacyDefender 4.0.Still no go.Thanks,all we could do is try.Heartbeat85

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:53 AM

can we go back a bit?

can you tell us what , art this point i time, your anitvirus program is, what your protection programs are ; how many firewalls are on board?

who is your ISP and how do you connect to the internet?

what DID happen when you ran system restore?

as a matter of curiosity have you recently had any infection on there?

also will the computer let you go to the microsoft update site and get your windows updates?

from where did you get the computer and 'as new 'or second hand?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:05 AM

Maybe because the Microsoft link was referring to Office, you were getting confused
http://www.wissamidrissi.com/error-1402
This is a registry edit, so care must be taken. Always backup the registry first
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:25 AM

can we go back a bit?

can you tell us what , art this point i time, your anitvirus program is, what your protection programs are ; how many firewalls are on board?

who is your ISP and how do you connect to the internet?

what DID happen when you ran system restore?

as a matter of curiosity have you recently had any infection on there?

also will the computer let you go to the microsoft update site and get your windows updates?

from where did you get the computer and 'as new 'or second hand?

Edited by Heartbeat85, 03 May 2008 - 12:04 PM.

#8 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:03 PM

Thanks a buch ! I'll be glad to.My Anti-Virus Program is the 2008 Shield Deluxe made by PCSecurity Shield.I have real time protection enabled which includes:A running file and mail virus program currently turned on.The realtime protection is the web-antivirus and has 4 settings: (1) Enable Application Activity Analyzer which is currently checked ona running.I looked at the settings and do not kinow if they are correct for sure.(2)Enable Appliccation Integrity Control which is not currently checked therefore turned off.(3)Enable Registry Guard which if off/unchecked and (4) Enable Office Guard which is checked and running and all items under Macrocommand are checked and the setting is prompt for action.I tried to restorre the sysytem back to April 23,24,25, and then I stopped.Each time it said the system cannot be restored to 4/23/08 for example.Embarq is my ISP and I have a DSL connection with a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router w/Speedbooster for my wife's computer.I have not had any recent infections.Also one a week at least I run ewido spyware microscanner.The Microsoft Version.Not the AVG Utiliites that took it over.So each time I run it I have to manually load it.Open up,let it download, and then click start scan.This is one of the best programs I have seen for Spyware,Grayware, and Malware.Let me know if you want the download link.Yes, I can go to Microsoft Update and lately have installed nearly everything the "Custom" scan has brought up.I have had indications that my Windows Installer is not working correctly.It does fine with most things.I have ran CCleaner through the system,I run Registry Fix 6.3 at least weekly.I have plenty of disc space.Lat night I found a Program called E-Sword that I had given to a friend,the disc that is,but was able to reinstall the Bible study program with the Installer.I bought the Computer in April 04 0r 05 can't remember newIf I can give you any other information let me know and I greatly appreciate the help.Actually if worse comes to worse I can do without the spamfighter and SprintDSLAlerter.exe/Virtual Assistant,but WILL need the Adobe Reader sometime for sure.It gets within 14 seconds of being done when it gives me the 1402 error.90 some percent complete.I also have used a free windows registry/repair lately.I thought for sure that Microsoft's option 3 boot in safe boot would work but when you do this the sreen is greatly magnified and Mozilla Firefox 2.0...latest version, or I.E. 7.O will not open up.I think right now I will check the link below that I have been given.Nothing to lose.The Office part did raise a question mark in my head last night.But I tried everything.Even uninstalling Mozilla and making I.E. 7.0 the default browser.Stii no luck.Thanks,Heartbeat85

#9 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:25 PM

Sorry ruby1,I did not mean to quote and repost your post from 08:53 this morning..I will undo if somebody will tell me how.I notified the forum administrator.Sincerely,Heartbeat85

#10 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

Maybe because the Microsoft link was referring to Office, you were getting confused
http://www.wissamidrissi.com/error-1402
This is a registry edit, so care must be taken. Always backup the registry first

Like what I said before try uninstalling it from the Registry. REMEBER to CREATE A BACKUP BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

Tell me if that works.

Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 03 May 2008 - 01:50 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#11 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:31 AM

No luck.I have given permission to everybody on nearly everything.I cannot even find run/current/version/"uninstaller.When trying to download Adobe reader 8.1.2 it gives the 1402 error but at the end it says current\version\run\install optional componets\MSFS.I could not even trace that Optional componets down.Virtual Assistant still says after a couple minuter.Virtual Assistant is already installed on this computer.Click o.k. to exit setup.I have backed up the Registry and I have been doing it with Registry Fix 6.3 I went and restore several registry dates.Still no luck.Needs to go to the shop.VERY FRUSTRATING to say the least.Spent to much time with it now.Thanks,Heartbeat85

#12 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

Hi; when you get it back from the shop can you let us know what THEY think it was and what they do to fix it?

thanks a bunch :thumbsup:
jusy some other ideas for you to consider maybe..........

the other possibility is ; have you unknowingly got two antivirus protection programs on there?
'Embarq is my ISP' ; DOES this have an antivirus protection thingi in it?

plus 'My Anti-Virus Program is the 2008 Shield Deluxe made by PCSecurity Shield'.

pause for thought maybe??

'Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router '

what protection is in IT?

#13 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hi, Thanks for the interest.I have no conflicting Antivrus problems I am aware of.Last year I ran Windows Live Onecare with PCSecurity Shield with no problem.It worked great.Of cousre I had the 1.5 version of Onecare.But this year Liveonecare 2.0 version said for me to remove the conflicting Antivirus.I did I decided to keep my Kaspersky and done away with Liveone care.All these programs should be downloading with no problem.I have had them on here for 2-3 years.If I could download a 1.5 Version of the Liveonecare where you make your backups on disc instead of hubs I could probably run my last group of backups thru it and repair it.Or even the disc before that.It would beat mdoing a FULL DESTRUCTIVE restore which I may end up doing.I cannot afford to have mine fixed this month.Last night I turned off the Shield 2008.I exited out of it and disabled Real Time Protection.I download probably 2/3 rds of a Liveonecare Version and then it said it had encountered an error and had to stop.It give an error code which did not help much.Then WOULD YOU BELIEVE I could not Uninstall my Shield Deluxe 2008 Version because the SAME 1402 Error popped up.It was like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.Ot said the same old thig the key could not be opened to be sure I had sufficient access and if not contact support.I had to do a System restore to get my Shield Mail ans Web Antiviruse programs to come up and run without shutting off.I trace down the Registry ansd have put "Everyone everywhere I think.I could NEVER find Cuurent Version\"Run" Could not find Run the last word at all.Today I got Adobe 8.1.2 90% download and after trying to Install a few minutes it stoppeed and gave the same error code 1402.Same machine key but at the end it had CurrentVersion\Run\Optonal Componets\MSFS.These last words \Run\Optional Componets I could not track down for the life of me.It's crazy.Spamfighter still doing the same.But I need the Adobe Reader worse than anything.Also I am looking for a Recommendation for a good Video/Audio Media Player that will plat .flv files.Real Player 11.0 worked good for a while and now I have lost all my manual playlists.I like the Player and am thinking of calling despite my anger with them over making my files into wma,MP3, and wave.I like to died.I cannot play a single video.I downloaded the Adobe Media player but do not have time to mess with it now.Guys help me find an answer for this error 1402 if you can.I haved tried everything from here to California.Later Guys,Heartbeat85

Edited by Heartbeat85, 06 May 2008 - 01:37 PM.

#14 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:52 PM

Hey guys ! Finally got the Sprint Virtual Assistant to install.I had a couple of Sptint items left in the Registry so I got rid of them.So I think you were right about VA problem being in the rgistry.I have comeb that registry through thoroughly.I even found the \CurrentVersion\Run key.However spamfighter still gives me the 1402 Error and so does Adobe Reader. I NEVER did see no Componets\MSFS like it keeps refering to no where.I know I get an Error 2 message when I try to start the appllication services in services and an Error 31 when I try to start the Windows driver Foundation.It says a device cannot be located or doesn't work properly.One of the other.Thanks for the help guys.1 problem down and 1 to go I hope.Later,Heartbeat85

#15 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:11 PM

Hi Heartbeat,

Are you getting a message that says something like this: "error 1402. could not open key: hkey_local_machine\software\classes\pdf.pdfctrl.6\clsid.
Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

Try the following:
Choose Start > Control Panel
Double-click Add Or Remove Programs.
Select Adobe Acrobat and click Remove.
When it asks are you sure you want to remove all components of Adobe Reader say yes
Restart the computer, and then reinstall Adobe Reader.

Try downloading Adobe Reader again see if that works.

Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 06 May 2008 - 08:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users