Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Of Death

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 manchu

manchu

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:54 PM

We just got done cleaning up my computer extensively but now I'm getting memory dumps all the time. I might be just converting a avi file to dvd or playing an old game and it will freeze up and go to a blue screen explaining the memory dump. Can you help.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 02 May 2008 - 01:13 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. Assuming XP OS ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

Error message specifics?

Louis

#3 manchu

manchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:37 PM

i guess i'll have to wait till it happens again and get the specifics.

#4 manchu

manchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:48 PM

your computer is shutting down to prevent serious damage.....

Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal

physical memory dump....
physical memory dump complete...

and it counts to 100 and locks up.

Tech Info:
Stop: 0x000000D1 (0x0000FD26,0x00000002,0x00000008,0x0000FD26)

All on a blue screen.

Edited by manchu, 02 May 2008 - 09:50 PM.

#5 manchu

manchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:24 PM

Another...

An attempt was made to write to read only memory

sthda.sys

blue screen....memory dump....the rest was the same.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:45 AM

STHDA.SYS seems to be related to your audio drivers. I'd suggest uninstalling them and then installing the latest version available from the manufacturer of your audio card/device.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 manchu

manchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:00 PM

I'm not sure how to go about this. My computer, device manager, sound, video, and game controllers, I have listed...
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Media Control Devices
Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC
Video Codecs

Where do i start and how?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

You've got a Sigmatel sound card/chip in your computer. If it came with the computer a visit to the computer manufacturer's support website should lead you to the proper drivers. Uninstall anything "Sigmatel" in Control Panel...Add/Remove Programs, reboot, and then install the freshly downloaded drivers.

FYI - the blue screen you're seeing is called the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD for short) and it happens when Windows has to shut down the computer to prevent damage to it (usually by software/drivers that aren't behaving properly).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

Hmmm...is your computer sound working properly now?

System manufacturer and model?

Appears to me that Sigma Tel HD Audio is your major sound driver, but it helps to know the system manufacturer/model for driver updates.

Louis

#10 manchu

manchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:50 PM

Well, I uninstalled the sigma tel and and installed the latest driver, now windows can't load drivers for this device. I'm getting a message when desk top loads.....The procedure entry point? Localize string@@Ya? AVCString@@V1@@z could not be located in the dynamic link librarys tlang.dll.

No sound at all now. Any suggestions.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:53 PM

....system manufacturer and model?...

Louis

#12 manchu

manchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:29 AM

Dell Dimesion 9200

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:49 AM

Go to this page ( http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid= ) and click the link for Audio. The last entry under this is for the Sigmatel Audio Driver.

Download that driver.
Check in Control Panel...Add/Remove Programs - and uninstall the latest one that you installed.
Install the downloaded driver and see if that fixes it.

There are other problems that could be causing this, but we've gotta be sure that we've taken all the steps to fix the driver before trying the other stuff.

The other 2 most likely problems are (IMO):
- a bad sound card/device
- memory problems (either RAM or pagefile)

#14 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:20 AM

As usama mentioned it sounds like a bad sound card/device.

But you may check also the settings to make sure it is not a configuration problem:

The audio settings:

Go to start > control panel > Sounds And Audio Devices:
1. Under Hardware tab the audio driver, Audio Codecs and Media Control Devices should be listed
2. Under Audio tab - under Sound playback your Default device should be selected.
3. Under Volume tab - Under Device volume the box next to Mute should be unchecked.
4. Under Voice tab - Under Voice playback the Default device must be selected. Then on the same window press Test hardwareA Sound Hardware Test Wizard opens up. Go through all the tests.

Did you try this ?

1. Click Start and then Run.
2. Type dxdiag in the box and click Ok. Click Yes.
3. This will open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window.
4. Click Music tab and then click TestDirectMusic and then you should hear a music coming from the system. Click Ok to discontinue the music.
5. Click Sound tab and then click TestDirectSound and then click Yes and now you should hear a sound coming from the computer.

#15 manchu

manchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:34 PM

Before i keep going on this, let me tell you what I've done this far. I restored back to a earlier date to start over. I tried to uninstall and reinstall sigma tel. Nothing works after doing this. From windows not being able to load the drivers to an entry point error. Tried to just update the driver via dell support and it basically ends up the same way....device not present window appears...reboot and try again....but never works. Back to when the driver at least functions, i also must tell you when i convert avi files to dvd, with the program convertx, my machine will just shut down with 2-3 min left with the conversion. Sometimes to a blue screen of death, sometimes just shut down. This has been happening for about a week. I can't be positive, but i think all this started when i started playing Quake 4. Any suggestions before i proceed? Audio..video?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users