Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo Firewall/malware

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Moki

Captain Moki

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:08 PM

Hi:

I have two computers at home. One had a winantispyware malware infection and I was able to resolve the problem with the help of Teacup61 on the HijackThis Forum. One of the firewalls she suggested that I install and she used was Comodo. I decided to heed her advice and first installed it on the other computer (which I use a lot for my business). When I was preparing to download the free firewall from Comodo it asked if I also wanted to download their anti-malware along with it, so I said yes. After installing the software, it scanned the computer with its anti-malware and found 32 infections which I told it to delete. It then asked that I allow it to reboot the computer. It had trouble booting so I did a cold boot. It goes to the Windows XP banner window, then the HP banner window, then to the second XP screen and asks me to login under Administrator. I hit the login icon and it brings up my wallpaper but goes no further. Obviously I am entering this topic on my previously infected computer since the other one won't boot. Any suggestions? I'm more or less in a panic! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:28 PM

you could get THIS thread reopened?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/142861/winantispyware/

will the comp allow a boot into safe mode?

#3 Captain Moki

Captain Moki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:04 PM

Hi Ruby1
Thanks for responding. I was able to boot into safe mode and determined that the firewall had a conflict with ComputerTime, a family time management software that restricts the kids' computer time. Apparently the firewall would not let ComputerTime load and the boot process was interrupted because ComputerTime requires a logon to operate. So, it wasn't able to get to the ComputerTime login screen and windows could not complete its boot process. I removed the ComputerTime software in Safe Mode and rebooted. It then booted OK and Comodo began populating its "permissable" database every time anything started to load. The last thing I tried to open was IE (which is not my default browser - Firefox is) and when Comodo asked for permission I noted it as a "specialty program" or something like that. From that moment on, everything I attempt to open is stopped with the message, "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I rebooted and got the same thing...so, my system is once again rendered useless. Any thoughts?

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:14 PM

AN idea........is system restore accessible (probably in safe mode)and can you thus roll it back ?

#5 Captain Moki

Captain Moki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:24 PM

I think I can access System Restore in Safe Mode...but if I roll it back (I've never done that) will it do anything to my OS?

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:07 PM

the 'how to' of system restore with wee pictures!!!!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:41 PM

Internet Explorer needs to be entered as "Treat as Browser" in Comodo Firewall rules and even though Firefox is your default browser it runs through explorer.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users