Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build Won't Start-up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NWendt

NWendt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:50 AM

I am currently building a new PC. It is using an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor with an ECS A740GM-M AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard. The case is the Ultra Black MicroFly Aluminum Micro ATX Tower Case with a 600W power supply. I have connected all power cables as indicated and connected the IDE cable from the motherboard to the hard drive and CD drive. The hard drive is set as master and the CD drive is set as the slave. Also connected to the mother board is 2G of DDR2 800 Ram and a sound card.
After connecting everything together and trying to power up the first time the power LED momentarily lights, the case fans come on and the Hard Drive light comes on solid. Then nothing. I hear no activity from the Hard Drive and the monitor remains in standby. The only issue I have seen when I was putting everything together is that the Motherboard uses a 24-pin power connector. The power supply has a 24-pin power connector that will break apart into a 20-pin and separate 4-pin. There is a place for a 4-pin connector but if I separate the power connector and do a 20-pin to the main power and the 4-pin to the other connector it won't even boot-up at all. If it uses a 24-pin is the 4-pin necessary? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:30 PM

a
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:09 PM

Looked at the board. only 4 pin i could find was the CPU power circled in the picture. And yes you should keep the 20/4 pin assembled and all plugged in. the 4 pin i have circled there has its own special line from the power supply,

Attached Files

#4 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:36 PM

The 24pin should go into the 24pin slot. The only reason the 4pin part will break off is if you have an old motherboard with a 20 pin slot instead of a 24pin. Also yes the 4 pin is necessary, plug the 24pin into the 24 pin slot and then you should have an additional 4 pin connector coming off the power supply. That 4 pin connector is specifically for your processor and if im correct it might say P4 on it.

Dont seperate the 24pin and take the 4 pin you broke off and put it in the 4 pin CPU slot its not going to work.

Also make sure you power supply is switch on. There is a switch on the back of the power supply.

Also does the computer BEEP at all. When your computer boots you should hear 1 BEEP meaning that everything is installed correctly. If there is more then 1 beep then that means something is not installed or not installed correctly.

Edited by Lucky23, 02 May 2008 - 10:40 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#5 NWendt

NWendt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:30 AM

Sorry I took so long to respond. I had a very sick 2 year old who took precidence. I bought a new power supply that provided both the 24 pin and 4 pin. Everything works fine now. Next time I am just going to stick with standard ATX.
Also I know some of you are trying to be helpful and cover all bases but I have worked in electronics for 9 years now. If I don't know the computer is supposed to BEEP and that there is a on/off switch on the back of a power supply then I need to go back to school.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:41 AM

Well...the problem (for some persons) with forum responses and questions...is that none of us has a clue about the capabilities and experiences of others. To assume that the OP is knowledgeable...is something that most of us have learned not to do.

And...knowledgeable or not...we all (since we are inherently human) make mistakes doing many things which we have done before.

So questions which some users take offense at...are questions meant for the majority of members frequenting boards like this, seeking an answer to their own (unusual) situation.

If most of us were as smart as we'd like to believe...then we wouldn't be here trying to educate/inform ourselves about "computer matters" :thumbsup:, building on the knowledge and shared experiences of...others.

Louis

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for posting your solution :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer