Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Black On One Side

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lynette11

lynette11

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:05 AM

I am not sure what has happened here as this is a friends laptop, and i think her kids have done sum thing, on the right hand side of the screen its like you can only use 3/4 of your screen there is just a big black strip i have been into display settings and tried to change the resolution, that has not fix it, I have read the manual and cannot find anything, have tried using the hot keys to widen the window to full screen, Hope i am explaning this well enough. any ideas would be great. thanks in advance. its an acer aspire 3620, windows xp home.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:41 PM

Is this with a browser window, or any screen on the laptop?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 lynette11

lynette11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:49 PM

sorry its actually the desktop that is to one side, and has a big black panel on right, i cannot move the desktop so that it takes up all of the screen,
on my own pc it has buttons on the monitor for resizing and been able to move the desktop, I have a list of hotkeys that do different functions on the laptop, like brightness etc, but there is nothing to move the desktop.

#4 lynette11

lynette11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:55 PM

also i don't no if this is any help or has anything to do with it,but it has acer gridvista (dual-display compatible) so you can view multiple windows on the same screen.

Edited by lynette11, 02 May 2008 - 12:56 PM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

I'm roaming around their site now. Quick question, XP or Vista?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 lynette11

lynette11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

xp thanks

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:21 PM

I think it would have to do with a grid setting. Going through it here would be a pain. It's on page 27 of the users manual here
Acer support
While I was on their site I noticed they had a security patch for Windows that you might want to look into
http://www.acerpanam.com/
Mark
Posted Image

#8 lynette11

lynette11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for trying to help, i have the manual, and have gone thru that grid, it doesn't make any difference, there was hardly anything on this laptop, so i did a recovery which i thought would restore every back to factory and default settings , But no the screen is still to the desktop screen is still way over to the left.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:26 PM

Not sure where it's located on your laptop, but I would try removing the system battery for ten minutes or so to restore default settings and see if that possibly helps
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users