Jump to content
Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:43 AM
What is this Internet you speak of?
Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:30 PM
GOOD NEWS for TOSHIBA X205 S7483
i just figured out how to get around this toshiba nvidia driver issue.
Even though Toshiba hasn't released new drivers for the 8700 gt, you can still install the latest driver from nVidia's website.
This is how you do it:
1. Download the new driver from
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_163.69.html( Link is dead, so I found this one: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_169.25_whql.html )
2. After downloading, click on the file and have it extract to a folder that you can easily get to.
3. After it extracts, it will try to set up and then tell you "sorry your computer is not compatible" or something. Screw that.
4. Next, go to CONTROL PANEL > DEVICE MANAGER > DISPLAY DRIVERS > NVIDIA 8700 GT. Click on PROPERTIES
5. Then you will install the driver by clicking on the DRIVER tab, then click the UPDATE DRIVER button. Next a window opens, click on BROWSE MY COMPUTER... Then click on LET ME PICK FROM A LIST OF DRIVERS ON MY COMPUTER. Then you will see your NVIDIA 8700GT on the list. Click on HAVE DISK. Then browse over to the folder where you extracted your nVidia driver files. In that folder you will find a file named "nv_disp.inf" Click on it. Then click OK.
6. Next, you see a list of NVIDIA graphics cards that are compatible with this driver. For some reason the 8700GT is not on the list, but it IS compatible. The 8700GT is actually an overclocked 8600 GT. ok?
7. Click on the 8600 GT card. Then click NEXT.
8. The driver will be updated to 163.69. It takes a few minutes.
The installation was flawless on my TOSHIBA X205 S7483. Now I can play BIOSHOCK without any sound or video problems. It runs on full graphics settings. Great game.
(note: after this update, your device manager will say that you have a 8600GT. But that's just a file name. You still have a 8700GT )
And THAT'S how you get around Toshiba's B.S.
Yes, you CAN have new drivers and play new games. Enjoy.
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users