Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 murphy2007

murphy2007

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:44 AM

Is Windows Firewall ok for a casual user whom does not go to unsafe sites?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:58 AM

Windows Firewall should definitly be used...Specially if you don't have another one installed...The only drawback with the Windows Firewall is that it protects you from stuff coming into your computer not stuff going out...There are a lot of members here that feel if you use a good Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware program along with this firewall that you shouldn't have many issues. The advantages of having additional firewall protection (either the software or the hardware kind) is that they protect information from coming and going...In other words, if someone was to somehow try to gain access to personal information via Trojans and the like they won't be able to retrieve it if you are using a firewall outside of Windows...It is pretty much up to you...If you feel secure with Windows Firewall by all means use it...At least it provides some protection...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:24 AM

Windows Firewall should definitly be used...Specially if you don't have another one installed...The only drawback with the Windows Firewall is that it protects you from stuff coming into your computer not stuff going out...There are a lot of members here that feel if you use a good Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware program along with this firewall that you shouldn't have many issues. The advantages of having additional firewall protection (either the software or the hardware kind) is that they protect information from coming and going...In other words, if someone was to somehow try to gain access to personal information via Trojans and the like they won't be able to retrieve it if you are using a firewall outside of Windows...It is pretty much up to you...If you feel secure with Windows Firewall by all means use it...At least it provides some protection...

very true :thumbsup:
Also be careful when blocking sites, Before I installed another firewall just to be more secure, it was called Comodo Firewall pro.
I think I made a mistake and I couldn't acces the internet for a very long time. I didn't know what was wrong so I removed the firewall and everything was back to normal.
Just wanted to bring that up, incase your internet doesn't function as well. Yes, windows firewall is good, but if you want to be more safe just install another firewall.

regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 02 May 2008 - 11:26 AM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#4 murphy2007

murphy2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:24 PM

Thank you all for your replys :thumbsup:

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:07 PM

The windows firewall is not enough if you want to have pretty full control over the Internet traffic. You need a firewall with traffic control. Not being able to connect to Internet depends on the type of firewall and the configuration or creating a rule to allow IE or FF to connect to Internet.

You may read more on this here: Understanding and Using Firewalls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users