Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup blunder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 madwill

madwill

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 06:10 AM

Hi,

I'm a new member, resident in Madrid, Spain, and I skipped the Introductions page 'cos I couldn't figure out how to post! And I had something "important" on my mind...

First, a brief description of my setup: Windows 2000, professionally installed, OfficeConnect Remote 812 ADSL Router + OfficeConnect Secure Router + Norton Personal Firewall 2002.

A few days ago, I happened upon a means of turning off the irritating HP tray icon warning me of impending doom due to empty ink cartridges (despite the fact they are new and original). It was somewhere in the Control Panel - maybe System or Administrative Tools - and it literally listed all the stuff that happens automatically on startup with checkboxes beside each item. I merrily turned off the HP icon and one or two other things I considered unnecessary! Now, it turns out my Irfanview image viewer won't start and the new v3.95 I downloaded won't start, saying it generated errors. And the problem is, I can't find my way back to where I unchecked the boxes. I've found a list of the startup stuff but no ON/OFF option.

Please tell me where it is and, if possible, what other files there are essential.

Many thanks.

madWill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:06 PM

Maybe:

Start / Run / type in; msconfig / Startup tab

You can click on "Startup Database" at the top of this page, to check out your startup programs
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 madwill

madwill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, this has not worked as I get a message saying "Cannot find the file 'msconfig' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and all required libraries are available."

Any other suggestions will be welcome.

thanks

madWill

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 04:03 PM

Hi madwill and welcome to BC.

In Windows 2000 you can bring up a list of start up programs by going to Start>Run and typing in services.msc.

You can also use the msconfig utility in XP and you can get that here. "You can add msconfig to Windows 2000. Put it in the c:\winnt\system32\ (c:\winnt\ works also) folder."

Edited by Leurgy, 29 March 2005 - 04:05 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 madwill

madwill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 04:21 AM

That seems to have worked. Thanks very much.

Though it hasn't turned up exactly what I was expecting to find!

madwill

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 08:07 AM

Glad we were able to help madwill and thanks for posting back.

Now you have left me wondering what it is you were expecting to find. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users