Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winlogon.exe

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jacobus

jacobus

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:20 AM

i am busy with a computer and have a problem.at startup it give a error winlogon.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.The pc also restarts it self after shutdown.can someone may be of some help.i have already done a windows repair and scan the pc with bitdefender internet security.there were about 400 viruses sofar on the pc.there are 2 viruses that i cannot seem to remove and they are Adware.Starware.AF & AE.Unfortunately i cannot format the pc because there are important stuff that may not get lost and one of them is a accounting program

Edited by jacobus, 02 May 2008 - 08:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:01 AM

You probably can get more help with this by opening up a new topic in "Am I infected" in the security section of this forum. There are malware experts there that will advise you on how to remove all of you crap that you are infected with.
Post there...Be patient as sometimes it takes a while for them to respond...Don't change anything on your system until they request you to do so as that will just lead to confusion...Good Luck...This crap can get frustrating...

Edited by KoanYorel, 02 May 2008 - 09:12 AM.
Topic moved to the Am I Infected forum

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Annie444

Annie444

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:50 AM

What's frustrating is posters seem to be redirected to another topic to get help after waiting and waiting for help , thus starting the " ritual " of " help me I'm infected "

There must be an easier way to get help in here..

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:51 AM

1. You may never get this fixed, make preparations for that, your accounting program can always be reinstalled

2. Try to use the F8 method to boot into safe mode and save the data from there.

3. After your data is saved then continue the fight, be ready to run windows as a repair disk again.

There must be an easier way to get help in here..

these repairs require a lot of training and the people with problems far outnumber the volunteers willing to donate their time

Edited by DaChew, 02 May 2008 - 10:01 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Annie444

Annie444

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:06 AM

I'd be willing to donate my time to help

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:20 AM

I'd be willing to donate my time to help

There's an old saying:

Physician Heal Thyself

It takes many months of training and countless hours in an approved school to become an expert.

We really shouldn't hijack this thread, it's poor netiquette
Chewy

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

i am busy with a computer and have a problem.at startup it give a error winlogon.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.The pc also restarts it self after shutdown.can someone may be of some help.i have already done a windows repair and scan the pc with bitdefender internet security.there were about 400 viruses sofar on the pc.there are 2 viruses that i cannot seem to remove and they are Adware.Starware.AF & AE.Unfortunately i cannot format the pc because there are important stuff that may not get lost and one of them is a accounting program

from where did you download or obtain the accounting program

also; if you DO have ;'important stuff' on there you really ought to 'back it up' NOW

so you CAN reformat if necessary

have you yet run scans with superantispyware ;exe is here

http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfi...ANTISPYWAREFREE

and asquared

whose exe is http://download6.emsisoft.com/a2FreeSetup.exe

suggest install both, fully update the definitions , reboot and run OFF line each program separately from it destktop icon on a full deep scan ; what does each of them find ?

if it will let you you could also run an on line scan from trend

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/

BUT suggest too ,BACK UP your stuff you need, NOW !!

#8 jacobus

jacobus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

thanks for the suggestions so far.i am still trying to get help from everywhere and yes my suggestion to my client are to format the computer and everything will be solve but she doesnt want to hear anything about format.

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

thanks for the suggestions so far.i am still trying to get help from everywhere and yes my suggestion to my client are to format the computer and everything will be solve but she doesnt want to hear anything about format.

what other suggestions from elsewhere have you had?

I guess get some scans done and reports from same so they can be checked out to see what IS possible to be done..................

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:58 PM

Let me make a suggestion since windows repair disk didn't work?

We had a similar problem involving a multimillion dollar business a few years back, the computer had peachware installed and they had not done a weekly backup(they do now every friday)

We took the hard drive and copied the whole installed program folder and what data we could get, reinstalled windows on another hard drive and peachware and copied the program folder back over. It worked and they were back on line the same day. These things never seem to happen except towards the close of books or the day before payroll comes out.
Chewy

#11 jacobus

jacobus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:24 AM

AT LAST I HAVE FIX THE PROBLEM BY USING E-SCAN ANTI VIRUS ,ON TRACK FIX IT AND DOING A ONLINE VIRUS SCAN.FIX IT WERE MY LAST OPTION TO FIX ERRORS IN THE REGISTRY.THERE WERE ONE ICON ON THE DESKTOP THAT WAS INVOLVED IN THE PROBLEM (SINSTALLER3 TOOLBAR ).AFTER DELETING THAT THE VIRUS MOVE TO SYSTEM RESTORE AREA.I SWITCH OFF SYSTEM RESTORE AND DONE A NEW SCAN AND MANAGED TO REMOVE THE VIRUS.I HAVE SPEND 40 HOURS ON THE MACHINE BUT RESOLVE THE PROBLEM THANX FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE THAT GAVE ME SOME POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS.

#12 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

have you now rebooted ,rerun your scans and turned restore back on?

Oh and ppsstt; me thinks you have your caps lock key on :thumbsup:

#13 jacobus

jacobus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:48 AM

Yes i have rebooted,put back on restore and run all scans and all the problems were fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users