Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp (need Help With My Hard Drive Problem)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Net_Surfer

Net_Surfer

• Banned
  • 2,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:21 AM

I have a computer that I bought at best buy. is a Sony Pentium 4 2.66 ghz windows xp home edition service pack 2

I came with a 80 GB hard drive and has two particions © and (D)
©: is getting full this partition is for 10 GB and it is the main partition everything that I download goes to ©
(D): is empty
So my problem is that I am getting C full and need more space..
How do I move files or programs to: (D)
Can I expand the partition of © so I have more space without loosing files or programs or causing an error in my sytem

If you guys can help me with this Please.
I will thank you in Advance.

A friend sugested to use: GParted

But I do not know if it works with xp or if is good for what I wanted for

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php

Gnome Partition Editor
GParted is the Gnome Partition Editor application. Before attempting to use it, here is some basic background information.

A hard disk is usually subdivided into one or more partitions. These partitions are normally not re-sizable (making one larger and the adjacent one smaller) The purpose of GParted is to allow the individual to take a hard disk and change the partition organization therein, while preserving the partition contents.

GParted is an industrial-strength package for creating, destroying, resizing, moving, checking and copying partitions, and the filesystems on them. This is useful for creating space for new operating systems, reorganizing disk usage, copying data residing on hard disks and mirroring one partition with another (disk imaging).

GParted uses GNU libparted to detect and manipulate devices and partitiontables.

Several (optional) "file system" tools provide support for file systems not included in libparted.
These optional packages will be detected at runtime and do not require a rebuild of GParted.

GParted is written in C++ and uses gtkmm for its Graphical User Interface (GUI). The general approach is to keep the Graphical User Interface as simple as possible. Every attempt was made to conform to the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines.

GParted comes under the terms of the General Public License

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:51 AM

Hi and Welcome to BleepingComputer,

While I don't personally use GParted, it will most definitely work with Windows XP. Others on this forum use it and they highly recommend it. That being said, I guess that it is up to you whether you use it or not. There are other things that you can do to increase the amount of free space on your C: Drive. I think that you stated that you download all of your programs and files to C:, WHY?...You asked if you can move files and programs to your D: Drive...You most certainly can and I recommend that you do so. I would create new folders on the D: Drive ie: Music, Video, Games, Photos etc and move those types of things stored on your C: Drive to these folders. That will free up quite a bit of space...Don't worry about moving them too much as Windows is smart enough to inform you if a file or program can't be moved. Just click on the file or folder...On the left pane you will see "Move this File" click on that an another box will open...Cursor down to D:...Click on "+" to show all folders...Select the one that you want...Then click OK and your done...Continue the process until you have moved all of these types of files.

Here is a link for a tutorial about partitions that may come in handy:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/understanding-hard-disk-partitions/

Once you have moved all of these files I recommend that you De-fragment your C: Drive. Another tool that you can use to free up more space is Clean Disk. It will remove a lot of junk that will free up quite a bit of space. I use Clean Disk quite often as it removes temporary internet files and a lot of other goodies that just take up space.

One other thing to consider is to purchase an external hard drive to be used strictly for storage of Videos, Pictures, Games and other programs that you want to have but don't really use every day. They come in just about any size that you want and really aren't that expensive. You don't want to use it for storing your O/S though for obvious reasons...

Other options would be to remove/un-install programs that you no longer use...After you have used your computer for a while you will be surprised as to the amount of programs that you have installed for one reason or another and have only used once or twice...Hey, if you don't use them, you don't need them...Get rid of them!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by douglas martin, 02 May 2008 - 08:53 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users