Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Password Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shazabel_faerie

shazabel_faerie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:41 AM

Hey,

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place - if it is please just let me know and I will move it to a better location! Basically, my laptop was working fine last night but when I tried to log-in to my user account this morning it kept saying my password was incorrect. I have used the password for a long while now and I KNOW it is the right one, I re-entered it about 12 times before giving up. Please can anybody advice me what I can do?
Many thanks .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:16 AM

Do you have any other user accounts set up as computer administrator?
Can you get to that users desktop? From there go to Control Panel/User Accounts.
Pick an account to change-yours. Remove password. Then re-enter your password and then click Create Password.
If you can't get to User Accounts, reboot the computer in safe mode. Try from the admin account. Hope this helps.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:12 PM

is it possible you may have an infection on there that may have altered your password?

what protection do you have on there and when was it all last run?

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

Hi,
It may be an infection that may have changed your password. If you think it is an infection or if anyone else tells you that it may be an infection post it in the "Am I infected" forum. Many people there will have good advices and tell you what you should do. Before you do that though, try some advices that people are giving you here, because it may not a infection.Also is your keyboard working fine? like what Queen-evie said if you have an administrator account, click on that go to control panel, then select user accounts and change the password. That's how I got mine working.
Good luck :thumbsup:

regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:51 PM

If you have to use safe mode and the default hidden admin account there, be sure and set up another new admin account that will show in normal mode

You can use that account to try and recover data from the old account if you are not infected. if infected you may have problems with any admin accounts
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:59 PM

a small point; have you checked for a caps lock key on? I have been locked OUT of a forum due TO that point!!! :thumbsup:

OR a stuck down key ON the keyboard?

however, you will I guess be aware that we are restricted in the extent we CAN help with recovering the password ( or for that matter ANY password)

#7 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:53 PM

I have had this problem with my laptop. The difference is that my laptop runs windows 2000 but this may still be relevant if you have not been on your account for a while. it wants you to choose another password every once and a while. if you wait too long it will reset your password to nothing apparently. i discovered this by getting angry at my laptop and accidentaly hitting enter and i logged in when i could not before. try typing in no password.
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users