Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fatal Crash - Overheating?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 07petko

07petko

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:01 AM

Hi. I'm running a Fujitsu tablet (specs here). Earlier today, I was doing some routine things (working in Excel and surfing the web) when everything suddenly went black. The PC shut down completely without warning. I tried to reboot, and the power light came on. What worries me though, is that the hard drive doesn't appear to be spinning at all. Unsuprisingly, nothing appears on screen. It was running fairly hot today, so overheating was my first thought. My two questions are:

1) Does this diagnosis sound correct? Would you suspect overheating, or something else?
2) If I did overheat my hard drive, do I have any chance of recovering the data?

Thank you all.

Pete

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:54 AM

very well could have been overheating. After its cooled when you try and start it do you hear any fans kicking on or see any sign of life aside from the power light?
If the HDD doesn't spin up on a cold start then i would venture to guess that getting data out of that particular motherboard/HDD combo is pretty slim, if you have an enclosure you could run it as an external on another system and possibly extract it that way. But wait for someone that has more laptop experience.

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:34 AM

hi,,, if there's vital info on the hdd and you are not botherd about paying money to retreive it then there are a few sites that can help with this,,, i googled your problem and came up with these,,,
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

you can narrow the search down to closer to where you live and give it a try,,,
good luck with your problem.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:23 PM

If it was overheating it should eventually boot back up. At least for a little while. It should also, at least, boot to the startup screen, without a hard drive. Just to clarify, the screen stays black and you don't hear a single beep or a series of beeps?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 07petko

07petko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:46 PM

The power light is still the only sign of life after turning it on. It doesn't put out any noise at all - no beeps, no fans, no spinning.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:32 PM

Is the connection where the power cord plugs into the back tight or can you wiggle it around? The lid switch could also be stuck/broke
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users