Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non-destructive Recovery Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nitesurfer

nitesurfer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

Hello all, I am new, and am really hoping someone can help me with this;
Win XP MCE, it is an OEM version, so I don't have the program disk. I did a non-destructive system recovery(PC Angel) and now when I boot up it goes to my Windows screen, I press my user tile to log on, and up pops a WPA box telling me to activate windows, i press YES, and it immediately logs me off., and we start all over again! I cannot get to the F8 screen to start in safe mode, and the recovery disk I made when I bought the computer doesnt seem to work anymore! go figure :thumbsup:
There must be a way I can retrieve the WPA files on my hardrive and reinstall? Please help, thankyou.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:05 PM

What's that make and model number of your computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 nitesurfer

nitesurfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:14 PM

It is a CISNET PC Serial #20203451-0276, bought at Future Shop.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:23 PM

Why did you do a non-destructive system recovery? Were you experiencing some problems?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 nitesurfer

nitesurfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:45 PM

Yes, computer was very slow, and freezing alot, do have antivirus, and all was well, have a lot of pictures we don't want to lose. We did have to take it in to futureshop a short time after we bought it, they tried to say it was the hard drive, but I am a tech support employee, I said no it wasnt, turns out they had to replace the motherboard. All has been well until recently, I should have done a simple restore to a previous date, but figured a simple non-dest. would be better, now I can get past the WPA window. BTW, thanks for your input.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:46 AM

This may be of some help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312295/en-us

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 nitesurfer

nitesurfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:39 AM

As it turns out, I have found a way to get into safe mode; where do I go from here???? :thumbsup: :flowers:

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:13 AM

I would suggest using an external USB hard drive and copying your pictures to it when in Safe Mode. Once the pictures are safe, then you can simply do a destructive restore and all will be back to the way it was when it left the factory (this presumes that this is a software problem, and not a problem with a piece of hardware failing).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 nitesurfer

nitesurfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:43 AM

actually, all i should need to do is restore the wpa files right? it is activated, so how do I get around the pop up box to activate this copy of windows??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users