Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Can what I write and visit REALLY be monitored?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rosalie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:59 AM

Hello from Belgium !
A friend, living in another country, told me that he can see everything I type as well as know which site I have opened.
Now I feel like I can not work privately anymore on my computer at home. This is not a nice feeling.
I have the McAfee Antivirus 7.0 on my computer.
Now, is this really possible???????? And if yes, how do I know that? And how do I get rid of this?
Thanks for any help someone here could give me.
Regards from today as usual 'rainy' Belgium

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 06:56 AM

Hi Rosalie,
I'm not one of the site experts but I'll give you my opinion to start off:
Yes it is possible if your "friend" has installed a keystroke logger on your system or is hacking into your system while you are online.
You need not only Anti-virus but also a firewall and anti-spyware software installed and running. See the site tutorial on Internet safety here:
Also I think your McAfee is out of date, arn't they up to version 9 now? Anyway make sure it updates online or replace it with a current product.
Regards from 'not nearly rainy enough' Australia.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 ncbo

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:25 AM

Unfortunately some trojans can allow this to happen. Some programs look for IP addresses and will allow others to take over computer if they so desire, much less get any of your personal information. Most of these types of hackers can be taken care of with Norton Anti-Virus protection. Suggest you stay off of the internet until you get a good virus protection and then update with the latest signatures before running it. There's a couple that you can run free to see if you have any intrusions. Don't know exactly where now but I've seen one that can be accessed through this website. Good Luck!

#4 Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,431 posts
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:58 AM

As it has been said, it is possible for your friend to install a keylogger on your machine. Personally I dont consider a person who would do that a friend, but thats besides the point.

Run a couple of online virus scanners and see if anything is picked up. Here are a few good ones:

#5 jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:26 AM

Do not forget to make sure you have a firewall, which will prevent any strange program from "calling home" or sending out information without your approval.
Hopefully your "friend" was just making a joke.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,528 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:28 PM

Also you should know--

If you do actually have a keylogger installed there are two types; hardware and software. If your "friend" was ever physically present around you PC, he could have installed a hardware keylogger. These are easier to check for--trace the cord of your keyboard and make sure there is not a module plugged into it between you PC port (USB or PS2) and the cord.

As ncbo noted it is also possible your friend installed a trojan program that would give him control over your PC from a remote computer. It would probably include a software keylogger. I do disagree with ncbo that Norton or any other antivirus will be 100% effective against such threats. I've been told that the standard antivirus and antispyware programs have very limited success with keyloggers, mostly survellience software of a commercial nature. So you might want to look at this thread:

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users