Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Presario 2100 Built 2003

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Whitecannonballs

Whitecannonballs

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:43 PM

Pardon me it is a PRESARIO 2100US
I have that message come up on the screen repeatedly while it keeps trying to reboot .
I have tried using the 4 disc recovery set to get it running .It prompts me for a Dos command like this C:/>
I am not sure the proper syntax that is required[I had never used the disks prior to this and there are no DOS prompt instructions] the first disc auto-runs to the text screen where you pick the language of choice hit enter to exit,it starts and goes to the DOS Command prompt(I do not know what to do next ai that point) . I have tried to get it to overwrite with the original xp home disc that came with it back then [xp with SP1] it gets up to the point of restart and locks up .
I also have tried my newer XP with SP2 it loads the startup files gets to the screen for install and there is no partition open to install on .
It also will not go to the advanced options screen to get to safe mode or Last Known Good Configuration .
At which point it goes to the BSOD with error messages [the same ones each time]
In this order identicle to screen view :
0X0000008E , (0XC0000005,0XFAB4DE54,0XFAFDB788,0X00000000)
SETUPdd.sys-address FAB4DE54 base at FAB25000 Datestamp 41107c8f
I know it could be a simple fix ,or it could be a HDD replacement .
If anyone has an answer to this problem all information would be most valued and appreciated .
I have never encountered this before .I use this lap top on the road .I am not worried about information on the HDD I would just like to get it back to working . Though I am thinking my HDD CROACKED AND IS PUSHING UP DAISIES .
My HDD connections are solid .It boots from the HDD drive first in the list of boot order,I changed it to boot from the cd it made no difference .I am also not sure what other HDD's will work with it .It came with a [ Hitachi 30.01G Model# DK23EA-30 ] .I was told if I were to buy a new HDD it takes an ATA I do not know the difference's asside from price could someone clue me in .
I do not mean to sound ignorant if I do ,This is the first I have actually encountered troubles with it.
:thumbsup:

Edited by Whitecannonballs, 02 May 2008 - 03:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:56 PM

That PXE message normally (in my experience) occurs when the system believes it is trying to boot from a network.

Can you get into the BIOS and check the boot options listed? The C: drive should be IDE-0 or something similar.

You might also check all connections for the hard drive.

It could be hard drive problems...it could be something simple and easy to remedy.

Louis

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:44 PM

Have you checked the connections to the hard drive to be sure they are secure?

#4 Whitecannonballs

Whitecannonballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

In response to your suggestions I have rechecked . :thumbsup:

My HDD connections are 100% ,I also am not able to get the recovery consloe to come up om the screen to use either .And the repair utility [press R] when trying to fix the OS with the factory XP will not work and goes to the BSOD with the same error messages . :flowers:

Dose anyone have a guide on using and assembling the DOS commands .
What would it take to just erase the drive ? I have an xp with SP2 to put on it .
All of my important information was already transferred prior to this event .
So I have nothing to lose but a HDD to gain [unless of course if it is shot it is 5+yrs old ]no tellin how long it was sitting before it was installed in my Lap Top . Average life of one is speculated to be 7yrs right .
So what does everyone think ?
:trumpet:

#5 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:36 PM

See if this will help:

http://commandwindows.com/recovery.htm

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:50 PM

I don't know if you like dealing with ebay but here are some links for hard drives:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Laptop-ATA-Hard-Drive-...DQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/HITACHI-30GB-2-5-Hard-...NQQcmdZViewItem

Some stores:

http://www.accparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=10081

(the above store you have to add $20 for a new drive this is the refurbished price.)

http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/392-26657-...30GB-Above.html

The stores actually look like better deals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users