Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio On My Computer After Updating Audio!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:23 PM

Hello Everyone,

I just made an update from Windows update notification on my computer. It was an IDT High Definition Audio CODEC for my computer. It replaced a Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC.

After the update and restarting my computer, I had no audio! I checked the Device Manager to see what was installed and under the audio drivers, I checked to see, it had installed. But I got an error message saying that: "This device cannot start. (code 10)" Then under that it has a location of: 0 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus). When I check the tool bar area and click on the audio symbol it says: "No audio device installed"

What Did I do wrong, if I did anything wrong? What can I do to my audio back?

I tried to rollback to the previous audio CODEC, But got the same error message. So I checked for updates. Then it installed the Update, that I originally updated to! But I still get the error message after restarting my computer to complete the install/update.

So what do I do? I have no clue what to do! I had something like this happen before, but it was with a differant update and It was for my printer.

Anyone know how I can resolve this?

Edited by Groffeaston, 01 May 2008 - 09:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

A couple of other things to try:

Go to Device Manager and Un-Install the device...Right-Click..select Un-install. Reboot and let Windows Hardware Wizard find it and install the drivers. There are a couple of options here as to allow windows to check for an updated driver...My gut feeling would be to check the "no" box here, and let it do it's thing. Sometimes this will work...

Another thing to do while you are in the device manager is to click on the view tab at the top and select "Show all Hidden Devices". Return to Sound and Video controllers and click on the "+"...Are there any conflicts there? Cursor down to Systems and do the same thing....Are there any conflicts there? Maybe check several other areas to see if something shows up by clicking on the "+"...wouldn't hurt to check them all

When you open up Control Panel>Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices do you see sound devices installed? Also check under the Audio tab...

If you Start>Run type "dxdiag" without the quotes press OK...Click on the Sounds tab and do the test...Do you hear the sounds? Click on the Music tab and do the test...Do You hear the Music?

By your explanation, I feel that when you installed the original update it corrupted something else or that update itself may have been corrupted itself...Happens with Windows sometimes...I'm pretty sure that the error Code 10 has to do with bad drivers. The drivers installed must be compatible with the device that they are installed on or it will never work...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:00 AM

Another thing to check:

Start>Run type "services.msc" without the quotes...Cursor down to "Windows Audio"...It should be set to automatic and be started. If it isn't click on it and a new window will open up to let you set it to auto and start...

#4 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:18 PM

Hello douglas martin,

I tried what you had suggested. But still no luck. I checked the areas that you said to check and make sure that were ok. Here is what I found.

After I uninstalled the update and the software,I restarted my computer. Then it (the computer) reinstalled the Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC. I got a message saying that the Device and sofware was installed successfully.

Then I checked The hidden devices in the device manager to see if there was anything else that was having a problem. There was nothing else.

Then I checked the Audio,speech, and sounds section in the control Panel to see if there was any Audio Devices installed. It showed there was nothing installed!

Then I ran the dxdiag, I clicked on the sound tab. But it showed No Audio devices installed! And therefore i could not run the test to see if I could the sounds.

Then I ran the services.msc, I went down to Windows Audio to see if it was set to automatic and started. It was on both.

When I restarted my computer and windows reinstalled the Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEX, I got the message that it installed successfully, and then I still get the message: "No Audio Output Device is Installed". It worked before the update, but not after!

Should I try a system restore from a point before the update? If there is one. Or should I wait and continue trying the advice from here?

I am lost without the sound!!

#5 raezer

raezer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:04 PM

I just wanted to say I'm have the same exact problem. I done half of what you done about trying to fix it, but no luck. I hate to roll back my computer, because just before I did that I installed a new wireless router. I don't want to have to reinstall that again*sigh*.

#6 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:23 PM

Hello raezer,

I know what you mean! I had to do a Factory Condition Reset recently because my computer kept crashing after start-up. And now I am doing all the updates that I had on my computer. I had finally managed to get caught up except one update and then this happens.

I had the Sigma Tel High Definiton Audio CODEX and it was working fine. Then I check for updates and install IDT High Definition Audio CODEX,Restart the computer, And then NO AUDIO!! I have a message saying: "No Audio Output Device is installed". And now I cannot get it to work! I tried what douglas martin suggested but no luck so far! I hope I can get it to work soon! I hate to be with out sound, even though it is nice not hearing those annoying beeps when a popup gets blocked and when an alert sounds off!

#7 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:37 AM

I'm sorry that you are still having problems. I have suggested a few things to check but I don't know what else to tell you. There is information in the Microsoft Knowledge Data Base that may help you resolve your issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

Look through this maybe it will help resolve your issue. If you have not found any conflicts using the device manager the one thing that I recommend you try is to re-load the latest service pack for your system. Are you running XP or another system? When I had this type of issue I resolved it that way after playing with drivers for the best part of a day. Just an idea...If you are running XP Home SP2 just reload SP2...SP3 hasn't been completely released yet...If you are running XP Pro install the latest service pack available.

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:25 AM

You asked if you should try and do a system restore...By all means give it a try...If it works for you great...One thing though, if you do get it back that way do not install the update that caused the problem to begin with...And if I were you I would not use auto-update...Manual updates work just as well...I usually install critical updates...As far as others I tend to look them over before installing...Maybe thats just me...If it ain't broke, Don't fix it!!!

#9 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:13 AM

At this point in time, I think that it would be important to know what type of System do you have? Computer Make...Model...O/S installed (XP Home or Pro, Vista,etc.)...Motherboard manufacturer and so on. Please download and run
this tool to tell you about your system. It's free and painless.

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Program will tell you all kinds of goodies about your system that you may or may not know. It will also allow us to diagnose just exactly what drivers and codecs your system requires.

#10 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:19 AM

I typed in "Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC" in a microsoft.com search engine and it led me to forums that discussed a problem similar to yours but it was mostly for Vista O/S...Do you have Vista? I may be trying to help you with fixes pertaining to XP which may or may not work in Vista....

#11 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:01 AM

If you do have Vista Read through this forum...CoppermineCottage has a solution that may work for you...

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpo...=0&pageid=0

Edited by douglas martin, 03 May 2008 - 10:02 AM.

#12 raezer

raezer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

I just wanted to say I do have vista and have gone to the link, I read just a little bit. But I'll come back and comment if any of the info helps me(or not).

Thanks so much for doing the research on this Douglas

#13 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:10 PM

Hello Again everyone!

I have Vista as my OS. I will download that program so I know what I have on my computer. I do not know what everything is on my computer. So I hope that it will help when I have problems.

I will also check those other sites and see what they have they say!

I will get back to you later with any updates on what I discover and if anything helps or does not help.

#14 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:21 AM

Hello everyone,

I tried to download that program that lets you know what you have on your computer, But had problems downloading it! It would download it so far and then stop! So I do not know if I will try it again or not.

I tried downloading the updated driver again and still does not work! I am having a hard time figuring out what is wrong here! I will try a couple of other webpages to see if there is anything about this problem there. And then I will check back in.

#15 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:33 AM

I'm sorry that you are still having problems. Did you try reading through the link that I gave you via Microsoft forums? One of the solutions was to Un-install the driver in device manager and then put the computer in hibernation. Then wake it up...Let it find the device and install drivers...Did this do anything for you?

I stated earlier that if you don't have the correct drivers installed it will never work. My understanding with Vista is that there are a lot of problems with driver compatability.

I have checked your profile and found that you have a Dell Dimension E521...Is this the computer that you are having the problem with? If it is follow the link to download the correct driver from Dell.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=209657

Follow the instructions on the download page to install.

Edited by douglas martin, 04 May 2008 - 08:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users