Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers Will Not Display/connect

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 computerhead

computerhead

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:20 PM

I have a desktop w/XP on my router (wired) and everything is fine.

My wife just brought home a laptop she uses at work (has XP) and I connected another wire to it and neither IE or Firefox will connect (tried the wire to my working computer too with same results). Under Network Connections, it shows that the wireless is not connected (correct) and that the 1394 Net Adapter connection and the Local Area Connection Broadband NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet are both connected. The Local connection shows connected at 100 Mbps and the 1394 shows connected at 400 Mbps. My dsl is supposed to be 1.5 Mbps but usually is around 1.2-1.3. I've right-clicked both of the connection symbols and hit "repair". The Local area comes back and says that it finished and to try connecting again. Didn't work.

The 1394 connection comes up with "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection. Cannot proceed. For assistance contact the person who manages your network.

On IE 7, I've gone to Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings and made sure that Automatically detect settings is the only one checked. On the Advanced tab, I reset both the advanced settings, and the Reset for IE settings.

My wife's workmate (who is on vacation) told my wife that she was having problems with the wireless connections. Other computers were also having that problem. But now that I've tried wired and can't connect, she can't swear exactly what was and was not connecting. I do not have access to wireless so it's not connected as it should be.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:50 PM

Well...did you run through the Network Wizard on the work system...before/after connecting it to your router?

If you don't add it to your home network...then there won't be communication between the two systems.

And the connection configuration employed at work...probably won't be the same as yours...until you run the Network Wizard on the work computer. When doing so, bear in mind that you connect via a residential gateway (the router) and not via another computer.

And it would not hurt to check (afterwards) that the same protocols are reflected on each system (for each connection).

Louis

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:24 PM

Hi Computerhead,

Have you tried to connect the laptop to the wire from your working computer? Just to be sure it's not the spare wire you are using. It could be defective or a crossover cable.

#4 computerhead

computerhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:22 PM

One of the first things I tried was taking the working dsl cable from my working computer and attached it to the work computer. I got the same connection results and the same non-loading of browsers.

I just tried to do the Wizard and I did it wrong to start with and took my home computer offline :flowers: But, after I reversed all the sharing checkmarks everything is working again :thumbsup: (note to self- set a restore point and do a backup tonight)

After that, I got the idea to uncheck all of those on the work computer and still the same results - it shows it's connected under Network Connections, but browsers won't respond. When I run the Network setup wizard, it gets to the screen that shows connections and all it shows is the wireless connection. It's not showing a dsl connection available. So it doesn't work.

About 1/2 year ago I had the same laptop and all I had to do was to plug the dsl cable in and everything worked fine. I didn't have to set up any network stuff.

Is there anything else anyone can think of to do? If not, I'll have her bring it back to work in the morning and see for sure or not if it connects on their dsl lines in case I'm missing something and it's been set up for their network only.

Thanks

#5 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:41 AM

I guess this will reach you too late, but have you ever tried this fix. It's a quick procedure. Run it and restart and try your connection. Are you getting an IP address and Default Gateway and if so what are they? Click and open your connection then select the Support tab to find if you have an IP address value and Default Gateway.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

#6 computerhead

computerhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:01 PM

She brought it to work and it immediately picked up her wireless connection but still wouldn't let IE or Firefox load up. Then she plugged it in to the dsl directly and it showed connected as well, but wouldn't load.

crizz44- I've asked her to bring the laptop back home with her so that I can try this fix tonight or over the weekend. Since I don't really know the background of the laptop, this program looks like it might be just the thing to reset things to where they should be.

Thanks

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

I hope it helps, I know it has fixed many for me. Let us know.

#8 computerhead

computerhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

:thumbsup: :trumpet:
Crizz44, your the :flowers: !!!

That program worked great and everything seems to be back up and running. I don't have a way to check the wireless but my guess is that it's back too since it showed that it was connected when she took it Friday.

Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to keep this program in my fix-it file!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users