Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Player And Dvd Burner Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SloHands

SloHands

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:16 PM

It all started with the system having a corrupted "Normaliz.dll" file and the system failed to boot. Tried to replace the corrupted file from the CD, but the DVD player AND the DVD burner were not available. Went into the BIOS to sort out the problem and found that neither drive was recognized there. ATAPI, it seemed, was unable to function. Seems that application was also corrupted OR it was connect with the "Normaliz.dll" file corruption.

My friend's computer went down with the same issue first and I loaned him my #2 PC while his was being serviced by a computer repair shop.
Then, while using my PC, it became corrupted.
How?
Haven't a clue!

A search indicated that the fouled file was in the Internet Explorer 7. Maybe..... maybe not! Not being able to access the DVD-ROM or the Burner hinders a resolution. Personally, I think both PC's have been hit by either a Trogan or Worm or maybe both. All 3 of our PC's have AV and Firewall protection. My software is, I think, much better. Until this happened, I haven't had a problem of any kind........... ever. My assumption is that he was targeted. Could be wrong, but..............??????

I've swapped hard drives in my PC. NO joy.
I've tried to reset the CMOS. Again.... NO joy!
At this point I cannot even get the monitor to function any longer, so I'm up a tree with this deal. :thumbsup:
By the way, both of these incidents occurred at my friends location, not at mine, which leads me to believe he was targeted. The first incident occurred while I was using his PC. The second occurred when he was using my PC after I'd dropped it off for him to use temporarily. His PC is a Dell, mine is a "home built" that I configured.

My #1 PC, which is also a "home build" that I'm using to contact this forum, works just fine.

I'm about to replace the motherboard, since I now think it has been compromised somehow.

The more I've tried to 'fix' the problems described above, as they've arisen, the less access to my #2 computer I get.

What I'm most interested in is to understand, if possible, what has transpired with these two PC's. An 'educated guess' might enlighten me as to the root cause. I would give specifics of my computer, but I don't believe that would shed any light on why the computer system access slowly died when trying to provide a 'fix' to the system.

Thanks,
SloHands :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:29 PM

You are talking about three computers at the same time, slow down and sort it out

let's work on your loaner first

Will it boot a cd or dvd

there's only a few rare malware infetions that will corrupt bios

clearing cmos won't fix that

again let's work on one computer at a time

have you used a usb drive to transfer any files between computers

Edited by DaChew, 01 May 2008 - 07:31 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 SloHands

SloHands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:17 AM

You are talking about three computers at the same time, slow down and sort it out

let's work on your loaner first

Will it boot a cd or dvd

No it won't! I've tried several tools in my attempt at finding a viable solution. Been into the BIOS of each PC (my two, anyway). No apparent issues arise. Tried to fdisk the MBR. NO joy there. Swapped hard drives by putting in an unused clean drive. Won't take an install of any system, including Ubuntu Linux. Cannot format that drive... for whatever reason. I've tried to utilized the Western Digital Diagnostic tools........ NO joy with that. I'm not a stranger to crashes over the past 15 yrs, so what's happening here is incredibly illogical and its totally got me stumped. The above are just a few of the operations I've attempted on both PC's. On my #1 PC, the crash immediately followed my changing out the CPU cooler. Nothing else was done to that PC except to do that operation. Why the crash has happened is mind boggling in my view.

I don't have a USB drive to utilize, so that option isn't on the table.

To further clarify my situation, I've built both of my PC's. I've taken great care to provide safety barriers and don't go just anywhere on the 'Net. I perform regular and intensive maintenance on each of the PC's. I'm as careful as I can be with installing third party software. I ALWAYS make a restore point before any install of any sort.

What intrigues me is the fact that neither PC was at the same location when they went belly-up and that not the same person was using either PC when they each crashed. Further of mystery is that they crashed within a week of each other and the PC will not access the system. Number one has WinXP Pro SP2. Number 2 has WinXP MC.

there's only a few rare malware infetions that will corrupt bios

clearing cmos won't fix that

again let's work on one computer at a time

have you used a usb drive to transfer any files between computers

#4 SloHands

SloHands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:43 AM

OK, well.... seems like there are no takers for offering other possible solutions. I was mostly interested in defining the root cause of my two PC's going FUBAR for no apparent "logical" reason. It still makes no sense that they would crash in the manner in which they have. I mean, replacing a CPU fan/cooler being the cause of a system crashing? :thumbsup:

Having no where else to go, I've concluded that I must replace both of my motherboards to be rid of whatever caused this. Hopefully that will bring my computers back online. In the past 15 years I have not suffered an "outside" attack, especially one this devastating. My system crashes were of my doing by making errors. This time, not the cause of my PC's crashing. Of that I am certain.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:05 PM

In my novice view...it sounds more like malware than anything. Or a failing CMOS battery (makes the system do strange things).

I think I'd try that approach before committing to a motherboard/system expenditure/replacement.

Louis

#6 SloHands

SloHands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

:flowers: Thanks, Louis.

As a matter of fact, I stopped by a local tech shop for a 'chat'. Its been awhile since I've gotten into physical repairing and the 'tools' I have are way outdated. And I don't have the hardware testing tools anymore.......... dang it!

Upon returning home I discovered that several of the capacitors were blown on the motherboard. I believe that I also have 'crispy' RAM, too. (1 GB shot... probably!) Of major concern is the AGP video card because some of the capacitors in that area are also fried. (RATS, 1 nVidia GeForce 6600 card gone... maybe!) Not looking good. I can replace everything for about a $100 bucks, which is what the video card cost when I bought it a few years ago. Because it would fire-up, if just for a short time, the CPU, most likely, is still good to go. Still have to verify if the RAM and AGP card are usable, but I can do that by first getting another 'board installed. Or maybe I can have a shop check them out without charging me.

So, a new motherboard for certain and maybe a replacement of the RAM and AGP card and I'm up and running again. :trumpet: :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:40 PM

Sorry to hear about your woes, but...it happens...and probably far less than we have any right to expect.

Let us know how the new components work out :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users