Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Unexpectedly Rebootes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 trevzilla

trevzilla

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:29 PM

Hi all! I'm new to this forum, so I hope I am posting in the correct place.

Here is the problem I am having. . .

Every time I start my computer, it will post. After it posts, it starts the windows XP professional loading screen. During this screen it will automatically reboot. No blue screen, no warning, nothing. It is just like I'm pressing the reboot button. It just goes right back to the post screen. It'll do this about 4 or 5 times, sometimes more. Everynow and then it'll make it to the welcome screen, but then reboot again. Every now and then it'll completely log in, and reboot after about 2 or three minutes of using the computer. However, if I can get it past that 2 or 3 minutes stage, everything works fine. Finally, about 50% of the time, windows asks me if it should boot in safe mode or not. If I do boot in safe mode, the same problem occurs.

I have run a windows memory diagnostic tool, and it found no errors with my memory. I have a friend that suggested I take my computer apart and put it back together, but that seems a little odd. He said maybe my video card isn't seated properly. I don't know though. I'm pretty sure it's in there pretty well.

Does anyone have any other ideas what could be causing the problem? Or should I go ahead with the video card? My problem seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes on.

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:18 PM

Check for overheating?

Are the fans working properly?

Dust buildup inside the case?

Louis

#3 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:03 PM

The Fans are working properly, however one fan was blowing into the case, so I turned it around so that it is blowing out of the case now. . .It was the closest case fan to the processor fan.

I blew the dust out of the computer. . .

And how would one check for overheating? I don't think it would be overheating as my computer only has this problem when it is cold! As soon as it 'warms' up so to say, it works fine.

So, unfortunately, after blowing my computer out and turning that fan around, I am still having the same problem. And just to mention, last night I tried turning the computer on, and it was the first time ever that it didn't post. I got sad, went to sleep, woke up this morning, tried again, and it posted fine, but went through the normal startup-reset-startup-reset. . . sequence described in my original post.

Any ideas?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

This sounds like an issue with the motherboard or the hard drive. There's no easy test for a motherboard, but you can try downloading a free diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive to see if that's the issue.

Also, go to Start...Run...and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
In the black window that shows up, type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Answer Yes or Y when it asks if you'd like to schedule the check for the next reboot and press Enter
Then reboot and let it check your disk. Keep an eye on it to see if it fixes any errors.

The first paragraph will test the physical structure of your hard drive, the second paragraph will check the file system structure that's on the hard drive - so both tests are necessary.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:34 PM

Since you can get into Windows, seems you should make that work for you.

1. Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

2. Check Event Viewer for possible pertinent clues (in the form of errors) about what is going on, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

You might also take a look at the following:

Troubleshooting Boot Problems - http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:I8xjS...blems&hl=en

10 things you can do when Windows XP won't boot - http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877-6031733.html

More info will allow someone to do more than random guessing.

As for overheating...the key clue is sudden, unanticipated system shutoffs. The CPU temp can be easily checked by going into the BIOS and taking a look at what is registered. Others have faith in various programs, but I have found some of these to be very much off the mark when used.

Louis

#6 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

Well, looks like the Hard drive may be the issue. Here is what I have discovered thus far. . .tell me what you think!

-I ran the chkdsk, and no errors were found. (My computer rebooted a few times during the chkdsk, but once it made it through, it made it through fine.)
-I ran PowerMax version 4.21 and it stalled while scanning for drives. It said it would take up to one minute detecting drives, but it never detected anything.

-I disabled auto reboot, but that didn't do anything. It never gives me error messages.
-I checked the event viewer. No errors whatsoever. There were a few warnings, but nothing at the time of the crashes. Only things after the computer had been running for a few hours already.

Are there other hard drive utilities that I should maybe check? PowerMax has always been really good for me, but maybe something else will be able to detect the drives. . .

Thanks!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

I think I would use the Seagate diagnostics on any Maxtor drive these days...Seagate bought Maxtor a few years ago and the Seagate website links to its own utilities for Maxtor drives, http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/d...maxtor_desktop/

Powermax 4.21 was released Jul 2005, shortly before the purchase by Seagate.

Given a choice, I'd go with the designated utility, assuming that more time has been spent on correctling/improving it...than has been spent on PM 4.21.

[post="http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/"]SeaTools for DOS[/post]

Louis

#8 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:23 PM

Sorry about the long time replying, and thanks for all the help thus far!

My problem is still occuring, and here are some new things I've learned. First off, I have not run the seagate utility as my hard drive is still a maxtor drive. (Yes, it is old. . .but still ticking!) Should I run the seagate thing anyway, even though I have a maxtor drive?

Secondly, I've tried doing a windows repair, and that doesn't work either. Still the reboots. It won't even load the repair windows screen before rebooting sometimes. And also, sometimes it asks me if I should start windows normally or in safe mode. When the timer is counting down in that screen, it will reboot. My computer is taking an average of 1/2 hour to start properly now.

Any other thoughts out there?
Thanks a bundle!

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:28 AM

Yes, run the Seagate utility.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

Well, I've run the Seagate utility, and no luck with fixing problems. It just said my Hard Drive is in good working condition. (I guess that's good right? ;) )

So I guess it might be the mother Board. . .or maybe the Power Supply? Would that cause this issue? Is there an easy way to check the powersupply? Do I just have to change it out to check it?

If it is the Mother Board, would it be the bios, or the board itself? Would I just need to update the bios maybe?

And finally, a new problem has occured twice now during the shutdown restart cycle. Very rarely, during the bios check, a chksum error appears. It said something along the lines of press F1 to continue. I continued, and the computer continued doing the start up shut down cycle again.

It seems never to shut down until some aspect of windows begins to load. . .

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:19 PM

Enter the BIOS.

Take a look at the system clock.

Is the date, time, and year...correct?

CMOS chksum errors can occur when the CMOS battery needs to be replaced. The CMOS battery is (normally) a CR 2042 battery, available anywhere watch batteries are sold.

A weak/dead CMOS battery also causes XP to behave strangely.

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER08-c.html

Something to consider, possibly.

Louis

#12 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for the reply and the link.

I checked my system clock and it is correct. Now, the link you showed me said that it may be due to the battery LOSING power. Do you think there could be enough power in that battery to keep the proper time, but not enough so as to cause these problems? Should I replace that battery anyway? I've never replaced it, and it has been a good 5 years since I've had this motherboard. (Maybe it's just time for me to buck up and buy a new computer anyway. . .)

The link also said a bad motherboard can be the cause of a checksum error. Maybe it is my motherboard after all. USASMA said that there is no easy test for a motherboard. Is there a test for one though? Maybe I should start looking into that?

Sorry about all this everyone! And Thank you so much for your time and effort with helping me and my bleeping computer!

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:09 PM

The cheapest fix is to buy a new battery, stick it in, and see what happens. Last I checked they were less than $5 for two.

#14 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:55 AM

Well, no luck with the battery. . . Just replaced it, and the same problem is happening. . .

Any more ideas out there? Once again, thank you for all the help!

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:08 PM

It's been over 60 days...I would have done a clean install and started out clean, while watching for indications of problems along the way and afterward.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users