Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 morphocypris

morphocypris

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:53 PM

I am currently having problems with my desktop and I was hoping you would be able to help me... My desktop has a blue wallpaper that I can't modify in the display settings (they seem to be frozen) and all the icons I had, disappeared except for my computer, outlook and recycle bin. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. (I have run adaware, spybot and norton amongst many programs in hopes of doing away with my blue screen).

M.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:42:54 PM, on 27/03/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS2\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Tech\Wheel Mouse\5.0\MOUSE32A.EXE
C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\System32\MsgSys.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS2\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWBMOUSE] C:\Program Files\Tech\Wheel Mouse\5.0\MOUSE32A.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.skoobidoo.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.slotchbar.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.windupdates.com (HKLM)
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {80DD2229-B8E4-4C77-B72F-F22972D723EA} (AvxScanOnline Control) - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/Msie/bitdefender.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS2\System32\NavLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Trace network connections (ACCRA) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS2\System32\mocih.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
O23 - Service: EPSON Printer Status Agent2 (EPSONStatusAgent2) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
O23 - Service: Provides three management service (FreeBSD) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS2\System32\dev32.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Client (Norton AntiVirus Server) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:45 PM

I need to get samples of some of your files. Please create a folder called c:\submit. Now copy the following files into that directory:

C:\WINDOWS2\System32\mocih.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\System32\dev32.exe

To copy the files simply navigate to the directory they are in and right click on them and then click on copy. Then paste these files into the c:\submit directory. Once the files are all copied I need you to zip the folder and rename submit.zip to yourmembername.zip (for example grinler.zip). If you are using XP or ME right-click on the folder and click on the Send To option and then send it to a compressed folder. You will now see a file called submit.zip. If you are using another version of Windows, please download a program called Winzip and zip it using that. Then go to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php fill in the required fields, and browse to the file. Then click on the Send File button.

Print out these instructions and then close all windows including Internet Explorer.

Then I want you to fix some of those entries. Please do the following:

Please make sure that you can view all hidden files. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:

How to see hidden files in Windows

Run Hijackthis again, click scan, and Put a checkmark next to each of these. Then click the Fix button:

O15 - Trusted Zone: *.skoobidoo.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.slotchbar.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.windupdates.com (HKLM)
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)
O23 - Service: Trace network connections (ACCRA) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS2\System32\mocih.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Provides three management service (FreeBSD) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS2\System32\dev32.exe (file missing)

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode

Then delete these files or directories (Do not be concerned if they do not exist)

C:\WINDOWS2\System32\mocih.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\System32\dev32.exe

Reboot your computer to go back to normal mode and post a new log.

#3 morphocypris

morphocypris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:23 PM

Hello there,

Thank you so much for lending me a hand! I couldn't find those two files, mocih.exe and dev32.exe. I fixed those items you indicated in HJT but the entries seem to be there still. Here is my latest log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:16:42 PM, on 28/03/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS2\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Tech\Wheel Mouse\5.0\MOUSE32A.EXE
C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\System32\MsgSys.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS2\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWBMOUSE] C:\Program Files\Tech\Wheel Mouse\5.0\MOUSE32A.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O16 - DPF: {80DD2229-B8E4-4C77-B72F-F22972D723EA} (AvxScanOnline Control) - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/Msie/bitdefender.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS2\System32\NavLogon.dll
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
O23 - Service: EPSON Printer Status Agent2 (EPSONStatusAgent2) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Client (Norton AntiVirus Server) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:22 AM

Reboot into safe mode and see if you can see those two files there.

Then please download Dllcompare from here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/dllcompare.php

When it has downlaoded, run the program and click on the Run Locate.com button. When that has completed, click on the compare button. When that completed click on the make log button. Then post the contents of that log as a reply to this post

#5 morphocypris

morphocypris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:26 AM

Hi there again!

I could not locate those files on safemode, and I ran the dllcompare utility, but it found nothing.

Thank you so much for looking into this!

M.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:51 AM

Double-click on my computer and then right click on the c: drive and click on properties. What type of filesystem is it?

#7 morphocypris

morphocypris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:39 PM

Interestingly enough, I don't get a menu when I right click anything on my computer, or my documents or anything else. Manually, alt+f and properties doesn't respond either. I will try it out in safemode.

M.

#8 morphocypris

morphocypris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:00 AM

No luck in safemode :thumbsup:
M.

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:09 AM

Do you have a floppy drive and a blank floppy?

#10 morphocypris

morphocypris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:57 PM

I do. (Once again thank you so much for looking into this!)

M.

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 02:25 PM

Download the attached file to your c:\ folder

Now put your floppy into your drive. Double click on my computer, right click on the a: drive and select format.

Put a checkmark in quick format and create a ms-dos startup disk. Then press the start button. When it is done, restart your computer with the floppy in and it should boot up using that floppy. You will then be at a dos prompt.

Type:

c:\find.bat

and press enter. When its done and your back at a prompt, take the floppy out, reboot your computer, and see if there are any files in the c:\bleeping folder. If there are, zip that folder and submit it at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php

Attached Files

• Attached File  find.bat   225bytes   3 downloads

#12 morphocypris

morphocypris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:35 PM

Ok, I followed your instructions and the startup disk doesn't work! I've restarted millions of times, and the only thing that seems to be aware of a floppy disk in the floppy drive is norton... Help!

M.

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:47 PM

What model computer do you have?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users