Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Any Of This Sound Familiar

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Delacy

Delacy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:10 PM

Hello people,

I'm having some problems with my pc and I'm really stumped this time on what to do.

So here's a list of the stuff I'm experiencing:-

1) First thing that happened was that my background had gone, then noticed that the whole look of my desktop seemed to be a cross between various versions of windows. Some boxes that open are modern looking, others are the old windos 95 look. I tried setting the image I had back as my background and it just doesn't do it - won't work for any image, but no error pops up either.

2)control panel was back in modern version and won't let me revert to classic mode.

3) If I try to look in my windows system folder it goes back to the screen telling me I shouldn'tope it (or whatever it says) every 15 seconds.

4) I can't install some software at all and some installs but then I get told cache key is missing and other cache related messages.

5)when I try and open some programs, I get a message telling me to install my office 2001 sr-1 disc 2 cd.

6) I can restore, but when I restart my computer there is no mention of the restore and everything is the same.

7) Some virus/spyware software won't work at all or freezes.

8) safe mode won't always load.

Plus more.

Does any of this sound familiar and am I going to have to forma the whole thing?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Any help is really appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 drpepper55

drpepper55

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

On #6 when you say, " I can restore, but when I restart my computer there is no mention of the restore and everything is the same", are you saying you restarted and that you couldn't access restore through any of the normal methods of: 1)doing an F8 at bootup to get the bootup screen and there was no option for restore ,2) that you restarted your pc and went to start>help and support>system restore wizard, or 3)F11 at startup? If so then do a start>search>system restore wizard and initialize the wizard and see if you can get a restore this way and then take it from there. Best to you...

Edited by drpepper55, 01 May 2008 - 02:45 PM.

#3 Delacy

Delacy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:12 PM

Right, since I posted I've managed to find some software that helped a little.

I've installed taskmanager17 and although whatever problem i have got stopped it from installing roperly (more cache and key errors) enough installed to let me quarantine what I thnk may have been the cause.

But since doing that (and I think this will answer the question I was asked above) I'm having to use "Open with" fr everything and even then it doesn't all work.

Help centre won't open at all in any convetional way or in any way I've seen suggested, but I managed to go to Windows-PCHEALTH-Binaries and select it from there and when it prompts me to "Open with" I do the same thing again.

Have done that and restored, but after restartig it has just frozen after I click my profile, it starts loading but just freezes when it says "loading personal settings..." etc.

At least I'm getting somewhere...I think?

#4 Delacy

Delacy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:15 PM

B the way,

thanks for your input and best wishes Drpepper55.

It was running originally but it wasn't acknowledging a restore had been done whe it restarted.

Now the nature of the beast has changed as you'll have read above.

Thanks again.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:13 AM

Hello Delacy,

I see that you have an HJT log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/144669/unsure-think-it-all-has-had-something-to-do-with-comething-called-cftmonexe-and-more-tood/ Because you have this log posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users