Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Receive Mail But Not Send

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maliciant

maliciant

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:07 PM

I am having a problem where three computers in the office have suddenly decided they don't want to send email, I went through and checked the settings etc, everything is right, even weirder is that if I put the same settings on another computer in the office, it'll work, just three computers quit working for sending mail (regardless of account).

Without authentication I get
The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'ttinsman@smithmontgomery.com'. Subject 'testq', Account: 'pop.smithmontgomery.com', Server: 'smtp.sbcglobal.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '530 5.7.0 Authentication required', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

With authentication on this is what I get
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.domain.com', Server: 'smtp.sbcglobal.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 535, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

On the computers that work, it's fine with or without authentication. It seems specific to the computers but I have no idea what the problem is, maybe some kind of spyware or something but nothing seems out of the ordinary, anyone have ideas on what to do? I suspect I'll have to torture myself with some hijackthis logs if it is spyware, but I'm hoping someone knows something simpler to solve the problem to try first.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maliciant

maliciant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

OK, this is a bit weird, but apparently the solution is to delete the existing account, and then put it back in from scratch. I don't know why that fixes it, adding a duplicate of the original and disabling the original did not fix it. It still seems very strange that (now up to 4) computers decided overnight to have this problem.

Anyway, this issue is resolved now, at least until those computers magically stop working again (if that happens I know it means trouble).

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:16 AM

can you clarify a wee bit more of what has happened? are the computers on a network

and have you run virus checker etc on each computer ......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users