Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"path Not Found" At Computer Start Up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jujujell

jujujell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:23 AM

my home computer (lenovo XP OS) crashed a few months ago with the conime.exe (among others) virus that i got from an infected computer at school. (i transfer lectures via thumb drive). the university tech guys completely wiped my system and took out the infection but my computer continues to display a "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\conime.exe path not found" notification every time i start it. as i know that the actual virus or bug is no longer there, how do i stop the computer from trying to find it at boot up?

Edited by jujujell, 01 May 2008 - 11:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:28 PM

Download Autoruns Open it and search for conime.exe and check the box
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

Hello jujujell and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.
Just wanted to give you some information on conime.exe:

conime.exe is part of the the Microsoft Windows Operating System. IT is essential for safe and secure operation of your computer. This program is used when you use a chinese language. However, conime.exe could also be an administration backdoor tool. That backdoor can allow attackers to access your computer and steal passwords and personal data. This should be removed! Please do not just remove it because it may be part of Microsoft Windows Operating System
You might want to read this forum: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-...ers-conime.html

If someone does mention it as a malware, please post it in the "AM I INFECTED" forum: Am I infected
Unfortunately I'm not allowed to help with any malwares. I hope that helps :thumbsup:
EDIT: Grammar and Spelling mistake

Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 01 May 2008 - 06:35 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#4 jujujell

jujujell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:10 AM

oh, right. there's a whole topic already out there. my bad. i'll read that forum and download HJT in order to post a log. thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users