Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jhdeav

jhdeav

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:41 PM

I have a computer that was given to me and I would lke to replace the hard drive in it. The HD is only a 6 Gb and just doesn"t have the capacity needed for applications and storage by today's standards. The CPU is a 1.7 gig Celeron w/ 256 2700 DDR memory and integrated graphics. I have found some pretty good deals on the internet on 60 to 80 gig HDs and would like to know if I might experience any trouble installing a HD of this size on a system that by todays standards is of sub par. I guess my question is will I need to go into the BIOS to tweak settings or should the installation go pretty smooth? My intentions are to get this thing up to par for my kids so to use so I can have my ole Dell workhorse back for me to use and keep the "I want to get on the internet arguments blues" between them only, and I can finally get some work done.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:51 AM

I've found hard drive installations to be fairly straightforward, jhdeav

You are right, 6 GB is sub par, but 1.7Ghz isn't, really.
256 MB 2700 DDR RAM is sufficient, also.

You need not consider that any untoward problems will develop even using a 300GB
as a replacement. As long as you purchase a name brand and it's ATA/133 you're "safe". Should be good to go.

2-4 screws hold the HD in place.
A 4 pin power connection, unplug from existing HD, use same way for the new one.
A 40 pin data cable, unplug from existing HD, use the same way for the new one.

Instuctions will demonstrate the jumper setup,
typically placing the jump pin in the"master" position.

:thumbsup: Pretty economical domestic strategy to give the kids some more room to
store "stuff" I think.

Oh, the name brands most popular (and often on sale with rebates even offline in retail stores) are Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor to mention some of 'em.

edit:
Buying a 120GB for 70.00 retail (Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 ultra ATA/133) retail at a Fry's recently, I was pleasantly surprised that it came with an application called MaxBlast.
Although partitioning is also fairly simple using Windows "built-in" procedures at the installation, the use of such a program makes it quite easy to format/partition the new drive to use with your operating system, since you will of course need to reload Windows onto it.

I'd recommend making a partition of 15GB for the OS alone.
Another 10-15GB as an alternative to use for installing much of the programs the kids use. That way, two things will happen:

One, less involvement of program files with the OS itself makes it less likely problems associated with installs/uninstalls will effect the basic stability of the system. You will undoubtable continue to install several programs to the C:\Program Files location that is default for windows.
Most program installations using the "wizard" allow for your choice of locations, however.
Without a different partition, with a folder you create called (new drive letter):\Program Files, you can't take advantage of that feature of the installation wizard.

Two, having multiple smaller partitions (which Windows will identify as different hard drives with individual drive letters) makes it easier & faster to defragment those drives.

It simply gives 'em an opportunity to sorta organize the data files they place on the PC better, also.

If the remainder of a large, say 120GB drive is then the final partition,
relatively large music & audio files can be by themselves.
Your My Computer screen would show that you have 3 hard drives.
Inspecting the "disk management" (if you use winXP, it's an administative tool application built-in) you would see that one is called C:\ and it would be a primary (system) partition "active & healthy". We'd call that the "boot drive" Others would be called "logical drives" & healthy, or "extended partitions" and healthy in the terms found there. Those are refered to as "secondary drives" or "slave drives" to the boot (or master drive).

With the speed of the ATA/133 drives, the OS utilizes it's processes practically the same in terms of speed & ease as if you had just one partition.

Keep in mind at least one partition is required,
and more doesn't really complicate matters for the system.
It is designed to use more.

Despite all these comments ... it is pretty easy and straightforward.
It is all covered in the instructions that come with a good new drive.
Don't let it seem to complicated.
It isn't, it's just that people
call things three or four names.

Underlying principles are not as complex as the folks who have pioneered development of these pieces of hardware would make it appear.
In all fairness to them , I guess they are made to work for all
types of OS & mainboard arrangements so they cover all the bases.

A guy like you or I can narrow it down a lot, to what we use. :flowers:

Edited by phawgg, 28 March 2005 - 03:35 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users