Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Service Pack 3

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:50 AM

Hi :thumbsup:

I have heard SP3 is not far from being released via Microsoft/Windows Update. Does anyone know the exact date it is available?

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:18 AM

they finished the final work on it 2 weeks ago, it was released to the developer network and shipped to manufacturers

a few days ago it was put on the windows update page but pulled shortly thereafter for some problem with a special kind of
Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System

I would estimate a half a million downloads already tho

Microsoft has left all down links active but is definitely not pushing it, some shell mvp's are reccomending a full image backup first

:thumbsup:
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:20 AM

So would you recommend it is safe to install it?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:27 AM

I would not reccomend it to the average user, you are not supposed to use safe mode but the beta's crashed a lot of computers that were running active resident protection like norton's

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

here's what I had running in normal mode when I applied it, it seemed to fix some minor shell and registry corruption on my computer, IE 6 is working like it never did before, it left MP10 alone and all my codecs happy

all in all, I think it's finally brought XP to a mature OS

I would suggest people run it as a repair disk or even a clean install as the safest way of applying it
Chewy

#5 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:34 PM

yes it has been postponed

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...0&SiteID=17

In the last few days, we have uncovered a compatibility issue between Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) and both Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1). In order to make sure customers have the best possible experience, we have decided to delay releasing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) to the web.

To help protect customers, we plan to put filtering in place shortly to prevent Windows Update from offering both service packs to systems running Microsoft Dynamics RMS. Once filtering is in place, we expect to release Windows XP SP3 to the web.

We are also testing a fix, and will make it available once that process is complete. Once they have installed the fix, Microsoft Dynamics RMS customers should be able to run both service packs.

Until then, we advise Microsoft Dynamics RMS customers to not install either service pack. Microsoft Dynamics RMS customers running Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista SP1 should contact Microsoft Customer Support Services for additional information.

#6 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:11 PM

will Windows XP Service Pack 3 be available to down manually in meaning so i can transfer it to another computer without internet connection???

#7 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:03 PM

when the release for service pack 3 is official
you should have that option from microsoft downloads

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:07 PM

The administrative install(316MB) was offically released to the developer network, subscription services and manufacturers over a week ago, it was officially put on windows update and then pulled because of and only because of a problem with
Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management customers, if you have to ask what they are, then you can rest assured you are not one of them.

The admin install is portable, applicable to all versions of XP, and can be slipstreamed into older cab files
Chewy

#9 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:26 AM

Ok thanks for that :thumbsup:

I can't see any exact date of the new release date so I guess we will just have to wait.

David

#10 Istra

Istra

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:19 PM

:flowers: I`ve reinstalled Windows on 17.04.08. using service CD which came with my computer.
For updates a friend suggested to install SP3, so I tried, but it won`t install without SP2. I did not installed SP1, only SP2 followed by SP3. :thumbsup:
SP3 has no newer updates, current ver. is: 20080212.121911.
I did not experienced any program conflicts. Everything runs smoothly as never before. :cool:
Maybe MS is trying to silently kill XP. :trumpet: :inlove:
Sometimes I think I understand everything... then I regain consciousness.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:39 PM

For your reading enjoyment: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview
Towards the bottom of the page are three formats for the downloadable overview. I downloaded the .pdf format and it's 12 pages.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:44 PM

Hi Animal Thanks for the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview.
I was going to ask a question but I think the overview should tell me everything.
Thanks

Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:48 PM

:thumbsup: I`ve reinstalled Windows on 17.04.08. using service CD which came with my computer.
For updates a friend suggested to install SP3, so I tried, but it won`t install without SP2. I did not installed SP1, only SP2

According to MS here: Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)

General Requirements:
To install SP3, your computer must meet the hardware and operating system requirements listed below. In addition, your computer must at least be running Windows XP with Service Pack 1 installed.

We recommended that you have Service Pack 2 installed before installing SP3.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:58 PM

so far I have seen 2 moderators blue screen at 2 other large forums

I tried installing SP3 yesterday and ended up with a PC that wouldn't boot. Couldn't get into safe mode to remove it and also had to stop auto reboot in the Windows start up (F8) before I could read the blue screen problem. Switched to my Vista HDD and did a quick google and found this. Had to use the Windows repair console but it fixed the problem

rename \windows\system32\gdi32.dll gdi32.SP2

copy \windows\servicepackfiles\i386\gdi32.dll \windows\system32\gdi32.dll

Once I got into Windows I removed SP3 and will try again later when I do a fresh install.

waiting to see a third one from here?
Chewy

#15 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:16 PM

the 315MB version officially downloaded from Microsoft this morning left a PC repeatedly rebooting (NOT mine thank goodness).

However the 69MB version from windows updated installed fine on my PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users