Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have A Flag As Hjt/combofix Log

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:06 AM

Hi :thumbsup:

As you may know, I usually come up with ideas for BC because I am a person who loves to think of new things and new ideas and submit them especially here at BC :flowers:

Anyway, I came up with a new idea that in short it is to have a button in generally every single thread (Besides the Tutorials, HijackThis forums) that is a button to flag it has a HJT log present in it. When a member sees a HijackThis log present in the Windows XP forum for example, they can click on the button on and asks if they would like to confirm this action (Generally in case they press it by accident this can help prevent this :trumpet: ) and once it is confirmed an auto message is sent to a member who is either a Moderator, Global Moderator or Admin (Anyone with rights to move topics etc.) and from there they can confirm that the post goes to the Misplaced HJT log and if any changes are needed to the actual thread they can edit it before it is moved to the correct forum. The same goes for Combofix logs but they can get deleted if the Admin etc think it needs to be.

Good idea worth trying?

Regards,
David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:34 AM

I am not sure whether this actually handles the problem of misplaced logs any faster than our current procedure, and it actually may include additional steps if I understand your proposal correctly. In addition, it involves creating a special programme to insert in the board software that must be reviewed and tested each and every time the board software updates.
Keep looking for improvements and new ways to do things, though, since each will take on a life of its own and perhaps suggest to others even different solutions even if the original idea might not pan out.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:36 AM

Thanks for the reply John :thumbsup:

Well we could set it so that a post is done in the Bleeping Computer Tidiness Thread.

David 28 has flagged this post as having a HJT log in it.

?

David

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:40 AM

Would require modifying the forum software. I am trying to avoid doing this from this point forward for a variety of reasons.

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:44 AM

Ok sure that is understandable, Grinler :thumbsup:

David

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:33 PM

The problem with sending a message to someone who can move the log to the appropriate forum:

The person informed may not be online at the time. The post would just sit in the wrong place for who knows how long until the moderator or whoever gets back online unless someone else moves it before the informed person sees the message. The informed person could have a influx of messages to deal with-suppose 10 people report the same misplaced log? What if there was more than one log to deal with, and those logs were reported by 10 people? The person would have to go through all the messages and check to see if they have already been moved. Each message would have to be looked at, what a time waster to realize you have X number of messages about the same log.
And that would take away from the real purpose of Bleeping Computer-offering help to those that need it.

Then again, if it isn't reported in the forum mentioned below, the log will sit for who knows how long before someone who can move it sees it. The longer it sits in the wrong place, the longer it will take for the poster to receive help.

It doesn't need to be posted in Tidiness. Once again, suppose it was set to post in Tidiness. You would have the same issue of what if 10 people reported the log and there were 10 posts about it in Tidiness. Kind of defeats the whole point of Tidiness, it would just get real cluttered real quick. And then someone would have to wade through the posts to find other non-HJT related posts. (Yes, I do know that there is the occassional link to a misplaced HJT log in Tidiness)

There is a dedicated place to post links to misplaced Hijack This logs.

Amazingly enough, it's called Post Misplaced Hijackthis Log Links, When you find a log in the wrong place and it is HERE: (And don't even suggest that it could be set up to post here, same problem of multiple posts about the same log.)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/124974/post-misplaced-hijackthis-log-links/

Any BC member can post the link there. There's usually someone around most of the time who can move the log from the wrong place to the general Misplaced Hijack This Logs forum.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 May 2008 - 11:40 PM.

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:32 AM

Yeah I guess that is right but we probably could have some sort of way that someone is online if they are going to receive the message about it and once a post is flagged as having a HJT log it can't be flagged again so that sort of takes care of those two issues - but; Grinler has already said he is refraining from editing the root code of the forum so either way this is pointless at the present time.

Also, thankyou for that link QueenEvie, I was about to go look for it :thumbsup:

David

Edited by david28, 02 May 2008 - 01:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users