Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help, Computer Being Taken Over!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 aaron_c

aaron_c

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:19 PM

Hey guys, I have some program that keeps trying to make me download fake spyware, malware, etc. protection programs that are really viruses (mcafee says they are unsafe also). They pop up at such a high rate i'm having a little trouble typing right now. I had to do this on a friends computer, he had almost the exact same thing happening, if not the exact same thing, and i did a hijack this log here.

can you guys help me again please?? this is the most frustrating thing ever, i cant do ANYTHING!

thanks in advance everyone..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aaron_c

aaron_c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:48 PM

can anyone help? or do i need to describe the problem in more detail?

*sorry, just thought about it and this is basically a bump- tried to find a delete button but couldn't. my apologies

Edited by aaron_c, 30 April 2008 - 10:50 PM.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:14 PM

lets try this; can you tell us your windows version and what other protection programs apart from Macaffee you have on board; when did you last fully update them and run them on full deep scans?

#4 aaron_c

aaron_c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:14 PM

Other than XP, how do I find what version I'm running? And Mcafee is the only thing i'm running right now, i did the most complete scan it would let me do (it expired so i lost some options) yesterday and it found nothing.

thanks

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:20 PM

if your Macaffe has expired you are open TO get infections

suggest you decide if you wish to renew your subscription or go for one of the FREE antivirus prgrams

you should NOT be on line unprotected
and you need to scan with a squared
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

from http://download6.emsisoft.com/a2FreeSetup.exe

and superantispyware http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html

from http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfi...ANTISPYWAREFREE

install both of them, fully update the definitions, reboot the computer and launch each separately OFF LINE from their desktop icon on FULLY deep scans

let us know what they find and what antivirus program you have chosen?

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:02 PM

Once you have decided on an antivirus, don't leave McAfee on your computer if you go with another

See this page for removal

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx...083&lc=1033
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 aaron_c

aaron_c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:57 PM

Thanks guys. let me make sure i understand this correctly- if i download the two antivirus programs you mentioned, do i still need mcafee? I'm wondering because I'd rather not have to keep paying for it if I don't have to.

by the way, i'm on my home pc right now, so i'll get on my laptop when i get back to school and download the two programs and run them as you said.

thanks again, i'll let you know what is found.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:09 PM

Having more than 1 antivirus installed and booting up/loading with windows is very dangerous, they conflict and are more likely to cause windows errors and let malware thru

Too much protection can cause you to have to reload just like a malware infection

malware scanners are safe, programs like spybot that only integrate into IE and protect it are safe

having 2 firewalls is also a bad idea

Edited by DaChew, 01 May 2008 - 08:09 PM.

Chewy

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:36 AM

NEITHER superantispyware NOT asquared is an antivirus program ; they are 'nasties' finding programs

as for a FREE antivirus program, try avast4 or avg7.5

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:47 AM

NEITHER superantispyware NOT asquared is an antivirus program ; they are 'nasties' finding programs

a good point ruby, I was just making sure he didn't make the situation worse by adding another anti-virus resident program

I see a lot of HJT threads where they specify removal of McAfee before proceding with many fixes, I see few where they initially reccomend adding another at the beginning of the process.
Chewy

#11 aaron_c

aaron_c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:25 PM

So should I uninstall McAfee and install Avast4? would that be the best course of action right now?

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:42 PM

why don't you install superantispyware, update it, run a scan and post a log first

I would want the computer clean before installing avast

Edited by DaChew, 04 May 2008 - 01:43 PM.

Chewy

#13 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

So should I uninstall McAfee and install Avast4? would that be the best course of action right now?

leave macaffee on there pro temp; AND run the two scans I have linked you to in post number 5 on this thread :thumbsup:

let us know what the two scans flag up; run each from their desktop icon on full deep scans OFF line

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users