Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Antivirus 2005

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hopeful

Hopeful

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:47 PM

Gentlemen, Just received notice that my LiveUpdate expires April 28, 2005. I have NAV 2003 and wonder if anyone has experienced problems with the 2005 version.

I have Windows XP-SP2 with 80gb hard drive, and use about 10gb in all. It's a Dell PC P-4. I could renew my subscription for another year on the 2003 version, but the 2005 seems to offer a few more standard features. The present version is not even listed as being supported on the Symantec Support list.

Would a download from Symantec Support be more up to date than purchasing it at a discount store? How long do you think the 2005 download would take with a 56k modem?

I would appreciate any tips or advice your Forum might offer.

Hopeful

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hopeful

Hopeful
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:26 PM

Forgot to add that I have MSN Antispyware loaded also. Will this affect the operation of NAV 2005.

Thanks for any support you can provide.

Hopeful

#3 gaelic123

gaelic123

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:51 PM

I was in the same boat as you. I had Norton 2003 and my subscription was running out, so I thought that I would buy the Norton 2005 version. IT WAS A HUGE MISTAKE!!!

I followed the directions that said that the previous version had to be removed before installing the 2005 version. I used the add/remove and thought that it was removed completely. When I tried to install Norton 2005 I kept getting a failure message, and couldn't install it. I went to the Symantec web site and tried everything that they suggested including 2 separate downloaded tools from them that was supposed to fix this very problem. It didn't work. Neither did removing all entries in my registry, removing all references that I could find on my computer that had anything to do with Norton or Symantec. I went to several computer forums, tried all the suggestions, and got exactly the same failure to install message. I spent many many hours trying to install it, and finally gave up.

I returned the program to the merchant I purchased it from and got my money back.

I am fortunate to have the Roxio version of "Goback" on my computer so I reverted my drive to a time before I had attempted to install Norton 2005. I then just renewed my subscription with Norton's 2003. I figure that I'll probably have another computer before the next time it needs to be renewed.

All I can say is that Norton AV 2005 is the worse computer program I've ever encountered. I've seen the same complaint from others who've tried to install this program. I guess Norton has gotten big enough that they can market a product this bad and get away with it.

Good Luck,

Mary

PS:
As far as the Norton 2003 version not being supported, I've never had much luck with the support from Symantec/Norton on their products anyway.

Edited by gaelic123, 28 March 2005 - 11:54 PM.

Dell XPS 933Mhz processor, 256 RAM, Windows98se, Linksys Cable/DSL Router,
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

#4 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:21 AM

use AVG (free) or (my favorite)
McAfee Virusscan!
but do yourself a favor, buy the full, offline version.
the virusscan online is essentially useless...
if your machine is infected, more than likely
you will get no inet access anyway...

my .02 worth

--rex
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

#5 Hopeful

Hopeful
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:18 PM

To Gaelic123 & Rexifelis,

This is exactly what I was looking for. A very throrough feedback on the problems with NAV 2005. I am going to renew my subscription to NAV 2003 and worry about a new program next year. Thanks for your adventureous report Mary. And thank you Rex for taking time to answer.

I feel better already.

Hopeful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users