my pc has been having at least 13 BSOD with sudden restarts for no appearent reason since the beginning of April.
Info about my system:
Packard Bell NEC
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0170
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Service Pack: 2.0
Memoria (RAM) 1 GB
IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.00GHz
x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3
I have an external hdd too.
What I have done so far:
- run Nod32 antivirus, Ad Aware and SpyBot many times both in normal and in safe mode, finding nothing;
- tried restoring system back to the month of March, to no avail since the BSOD events keep occurring;
- run chkdsk finding no errors;
- run 8 passes of memtest, finding no errors;
- counted 13 files in the minidump folder. I tried using the debugging tool to get more info but cannot figure out the resulting info, apart from the names of the potentially troublesome files --> here they are:
ntoskrnl.exe 4 times (the first, fourth, fifth and eighth minidump),
pgfilter.sys (as far as this, I have since removed PeerGuardian),
the last one mentions win32k.sys.
I have no idea if the fact that my pc has been noisy since a few months may help understanding the problem. I have cleaned it from dust spraying compressed air and using a vacuum cleaner but it still easily becomes noisy when a few programs are running together.
P.S I have appearently screwed up the title while posting, please bear with me English is not my first language
Edited by CoralReef, 30 April 2008 - 04:59 PM.