Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Bsod,

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CoralReef

CoralReef

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:52 PM

Hi guys,
my pc has been having at least 13 BSOD with sudden restarts for no appearent reason since the beginning of April.

Info about my system:

Packard Bell NEC
IMEDIA 5302
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0170

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version: 5.1.2600
Service Pack: 2.0
Memoria (RAM) 1 GB

Processor
IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.00GHz
x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3
2992 MHz

I have an external hdd too.

What I have done so far:

- run Nod32 antivirus, Ad Aware and SpyBot many times both in normal and in safe mode, finding nothing;
- tried restoring system back to the month of March, to no avail since the BSOD events keep occurring;
- run chkdsk finding no errors;
- run 8 passes :flowers: of memtest, finding no errors;
- counted 13 files in the minidump folder. I tried using the debugging tool to get more info but cannot figure out the resulting info, apart from the names of the potentially troublesome files --> here they are:
ntoskrnl.exe 4 times (the first, fourth, fifth and eighth minidump),
pgfilter.sys (as far as this, I have since removed PeerGuardian),
atapi.sys,
usbohci.sys,
NDIS.sys,
intelppm.sys,
Npfs.SYS,
Ntfs.sys,
sptd.sys,
the last one mentions win32k.sys.

I have no idea if the fact that my pc has been noisy since a few months may help understanding the problem. I have cleaned it from dust spraying compressed air and using a vacuum cleaner but it still easily becomes noisy when a few programs are running together.

Please, help. :thumbsup:

Fran

P.S I have appearently screwed up the title while posting, please bear with me English is not my first language :trumpet:

Edited by CoralReef, 30 April 2008 - 04:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:58 PM

I think you hard drive is failing. This is not a malware issue so I will move this where better help is available. Nice to have met you
Boopme
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

Try running a diagnostic on your hard drive.

LINK
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 CoralReef

CoralReef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:15 AM

Boopme and Budapest, hello and thanks for replying.

I have downloaded and installed the diagnostic tool from the link you posted but as soon as I double click on the seatool launcher I get the error window popping up. :thumbsup:

I think it might be interesting to report that the very same thing has been happening with another launcher I wanted to use since quitting smoking, sort of a quit meter which appearently uses dfsvc.exe - at least that was the .exe name appearing in that error window pop up - the event type in that case was identical to this new one: EVENT TYPE: clr20r3.

Fran

Edited by CoralReef, 01 May 2008 - 03:16 AM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:29 AM

Please copy and paste the error message, word for word
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 CoralReef

CoralReef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:03 AM

ok, after reading thoroughly the HP site I found that in my start menu there is indeed the specific tool for diagnostic Seatool ever since I purcheased the pc, oddly enough this one works with no problem at all so in the end I managed to scan the hdd - it reported no errors - however if out of curiosity I try again to launch the program downloaded earlier today the error window pops up and says as follows:

EventType : clr20r3
P1 : seatools_launcher.exe
P2 : 1.0.0.0
P3 : 473d7e48
P4 : mscorlib
P5 : 2.0.0.0
P6 : 471ebc5b
P7 : 1f49
P8 : 0
P9 : system.typeloadexception

The similar error of the other application I mentioned says:

P1 : dfsvc.exe
P2 : 2.0.50727.832
P3 : 461ef22a
P4 : mscorlib
P5 : 2.0.0.0
P6 : 471ebc5b
P7 : 1b08
P8 : 10
P9 : system.security.security

Edited to add that in Safe Mode the situation remains the same.

Edited by CoralReef, 01 May 2008 - 11:05 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

There are various versions of Seatools, perhaps you downloaded a version not intended to be run in the manner in which you are attempting.

The version for running within Windows is the latest and (probably) the easiest to use (if the system boots).

Louis

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:55 PM

P1 : dfsvc.exe

What BC says about dfsvc.exe
HERE
dfsvc.exe is also a part of ClickOnce which is in Net framework 2.0 and later
Maybe delete Net Framework and redownload it
http://www.microsoft.com/download
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#9 CoralReef

CoralReef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:11 PM

Ok, first off again thanks for the help.

I'm running out of hope though as I have tried to unistall Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. but the windows installer fails to do so, giving me the following pop up error message

EventType : visualstudio8setup P1 : 183 P2 : 8.0.50727.42_rtm_x86ret
P3 : msi P4 : uinst P5 : f P6 : - P7 : - P8 : 1601
P9 : - P10 : -

I read the Micorsoft link you posted and decided to follow the step by step procedure to remove NET Framework 2.0 manually, so I unregistered and registered the windows installer again as the procedure says, but when I got to the part in bold letters...

"1. Remove the .NET Framework 2.0 from the Windows Installer cache:
a.Click Start, click Run, type installer in the Open box, and then click OK.
b.On the View menu in Windows Installer, click Details.
c.Right-click the Name column header, and then click Comments.
d.Right-click the cached Windows Installer file that has the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 RTL x86 enu comment, and then click Uninstall."

...I just couldn't complete the operation as yet another type of message pop up appears - it's difficult to translate it in English but it mentions that it's impossible to open the patch packet or something like that, and to make sure you have the access rights and that the windows installer patch packet is ok.

I can't seem to get rid of this Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0! how can I reinstall it if I can't delete it first :thumbsup:

EDITED to add something else I forgot, about Dfsvc.exe and the link garmanma posted:
If I do a search in my system I see this file in the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 folder - should I just delete it right there and then or do I have to actually uninstall it with the program?

Thanks, Fran

Edited by CoralReef, 01 May 2008 - 05:18 PM.

#10 CoralReef

CoralReef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:20 PM

Just wanted to say that I have managed to get everything back to normal on my pc! After reading tons of articles and trying umpteen procedures, all failing, about problems with Windows installer and how to uninstall Microsoft NET. Framework etc, I eventually came across this site that offers as an emergency solution - my case indeed - a tool to remove all versions of Microsoft NET Framework. Bless it, it worked wonderfully! Within a couple minutes I had all of my problems worked out. I managed to re-install everything anew from Windows Updates and hey, it all works now and better than before, no more BSOD, no more noise, no more error windows :thumbsup:

Thanks for the hints, Fran :flowers:

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:34 PM

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for sharing the link :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image

#12 CoralReef

CoralReef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:43 PM

garmanma it was your post to point me in the right direction so thank you very much indeed :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users