Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Browsers Take Forever To Open/can't Add Bookmarks

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kcguru

kcguru

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

I have been using my Verizon Yahoo Browser for my internet use since my Internet Explorer browser has been giving me problems, namely it keeps freezing up after visiting anywhere between 3-5 web pages and I can't open multiple windows. It stops responding and I have to close out of it. I have scanned repeatedly for problems and haven't found any with it. I finally gave up and started using the Verizon Yahoo Browser and all was fine until yesterday. I couldn't open either internet browsers for about half a day, thought it was a problem with my internet connection, gave up and went to bed.

Today I can open both again but it takes a good couple minutes after clicking on them before they actually load. Once it loads, it runs ok although it has stopped responding a couple times and I have noticed I can not add any bookmarks in my Verizon Yahoo browser anymore. I have run numerous scans, including the Malwarebytes one, SuperAnti-Spyware, and my normal McAfee but it hasn't found anything. I did notice that about the time that this started, McAfee was trying to update itself and seemed to be frozen. I had to reboot computer. Could that have something to do with it? I'm thinking about reinstalling McAfee to see if it's doing something. Other than that, I would really appreciate any suggestions because this is getting frustrating.

Oh, and I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

It is possible that McAfee could be the reason why you are experiencing this issue.
You could uninstall, then reinstall McAfee to see if that solves the problem.
If you decide to take this approach, after uninstalling from Add Remove, use the

McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool
before reinstalling. The tool will (supposedly) remove any traces left behind.

If a reinstall doesn't solve the problem, it could be a case of McAfee just not playing nice with your system.
Of course, there are other reasons why your browsers are slow to open but since you mentioned McAfee I am addressing that question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users