Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Conflict Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drpepper55

drpepper55

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

Hey all...I have a Dell Latitude CPX J650 that I bought in a pawn shop. Previous owner had XP Home, 2002, SP2 installed on it but did not provide the disks to the pawn shop so I never got the os disks. Version installed is recognized by Microsoft and I have been able to get updates, no problem. Wanting to have my own OEM copy of XP Home in case of needing files for either repair/system file check/re-install, I purchased an OEM XP Home, 2002, SP2 software with its own serial # and license. If I were to need to do a repair/sfc/or re-install, will there be a conflict in the installed copy recognizing this new disk and making the necessary repair or sfc from this disk? What is the general experience out there on this kind of situation. Thanks...

Edited by drpepper55, 30 April 2008 - 03:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:37 PM

The system itself has no problem at all with any valid XP CD for repair/maintenance purposes. If you were to do a repair install, I would think that you could use either license for that.

If it were me, I would have done a clean install from the new CD, using the new license...while removing/obliterating anything from a prior owner (good and bad).

I have about 8 OEM licenses and have never run into any "conflict" using such.

The only conflict that can occur...is having a version of XP on CD that does not contain (at least) SP2...and trying to run sfc /scannow or do a repair install with said CD. That is solved easily by slipstreaming SP2 into a new CD which is burned by the user.

Louis

#3 drpepper55

drpepper55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:06 PM

Thanks hamluis for the reply. I've been told similarly that the repair install and of course the re-install should not present a problem, but that the sfc run might be. I was just hoping to not have to do a re-install if I didn't have to as the present install on the machine is glitch-free and I've heard some nightmarish stories on some re-installs, so I'm not I'm just not in any hurry to do it unless I really have to. I was just trying to look ahead and prepare myself for my best options in case I get faced with any os problems. This laptop as I said I got at a pawn shop and it is in fairly good shape and according to the service tag originally came with 98se and apparently the previous owner decided to replace the 98se with XPHome, SP2 and just did not pass the disk along with it when he sold or pawned it, unfortunately for me. Hopefully I'll never have any problems and I won't have to be faced with needing to do anything, but one never knows. As I said, I just wanted to see what my options might be. Thanks again, best to you...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:01 PM

No problem, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users