Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Can't My Monitor Ever Remember The Correct Settings?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 snaithbert

snaithbert

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

I got a new widescreen monitor recently (model #HP w19b) and I had to really play with it to get it to the setting I wanted (1440 by 900). After that it was fine, the only problem is every time I reboot- I have to change the settings again. And not only do I have to change the settings, i have to run the software that came with the monitor, because otherwise 1440 by 900 isn't even listed as one of the options under "settings" in the "display options" window. After I run that software I see the correct setting but before that- it's just not there.

Does anyone out there know how to change my settings so that when I reboot- the screen size won't change? It's a pain to have to change it back, plus my icons get all moved around and I'm so anal, I have to move them all back just the way I like them.

Rest assured- any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Snaithbert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:52 PM

Did you install the monitor software from an admin account?

What is the make and model number of the monitor?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 snaithbert

snaithbert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:24 PM

Sorry, double post, not sure how to delete it so I just replaced post #2 with this text.

Edited by snaithbert, 30 April 2008 - 05:26 PM.

#4 snaithbert

snaithbert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:24 PM

It's an HP, model #HP w19b.

And I'm the only owner of the computer so I guess technically it's an admin account, right?

One thing I forgot to mention is that this monitor is shared by 2 CPUs and I use a KVM switch to be able to use the monitor for both machines. But both have the problem and require the resolution to be changed when the machine restarts. I never had this problem with my old monitor, which I also used for 2 computers, so I'm not sure why the new one is so problemactic. Possibly because the new one is a widescreen monitor, whereas the old one was not?

Maybe?

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:49 PM

Try searching on the HP website for updated drivers/software for the monitor.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:57 PM

On my Viewsonic, if you want a non-supported resolution, When you boot the computer, it gives you a message to press a specified button on the monitor. Like Budapest said, Check HP's support site fot the monitor
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users