Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have Key...Dont have CD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 horwathjm

horwathjm

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 08:04 PM

I bought my computer from Dell when I was entering school (in 2000). It came loaded with Windows 98. When XP came out, we had our computers upgraded to XP and Office XP by the school (in 2002). I recently had a bad virus/spyware issue and needed to re-format. I used magicjellybean (i think that was the name) to get the Product Key for XP and Office before I re-formatted.

I used the recovery CD from Dell to reload Windows98, but wanted to get XP back. My wife uses the computer for her school now and likes XP. Is there anyway I can get XP back without buying it? I dont have any XP CD's but I have a legit Product Key.

Can I simply use any XP CD and enter my Product Key?
Does it matter if I got it from school (is there an Academic Version)?

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:09 AM

It's my understanding that virtually all XP install disks are the same. If you use an upgrade disk, it will ask for you to put the disk from your previous version of Windows in the drive. I don't know about "restore" disks, such as you'd get with Dell or some other computer, but the Academic, OEM, or Full Retail disks have the same XP on them. They just have different price levels.

Perhaps others with more experience can add to this. So many of the computers I work on are the Wal-Mart variety with XP installation stored in a second partition on the hard drive.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:55 AM

My 10c worth:
I don't know the arrangement regarding XP and educational establishments but in the case of 98 I do know that the CD was a special because at installation the CD key was already filled in. This had nothing to do with Academic versions of software. If MS followed the same system with XP then if you (or your wife) can borrow the CD from a school it will probably install without any key.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:02 PM

Assuming you do have a valid product key.....

Borrow a WindowsXP CD (Home or Pro, same version you had before) and do the installation. You are better off with a clean install than an upgrade, and you CAN do a clean install with an upgrade disk - it will just ask for you insert the Win98 disk somewhere in the process to prove it is an upgrade.

Then when you are ready to 'activate', follow the procedure here.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 horwathjm

horwathjm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:04 PM

I am assuming it is a valid key. The XP software was installed by my university. I used magicjellybean to extract the product key.

I did a little research last night and think I may have a volume license key. Does this matter at all? Again, I am a legit recipient of the software/ key from the university. In fact, they gave us all Office XP CD's with keys when we graduated in case we needed to reload it/ add any features. For some reason we did not get the XP CDs.

Can I still use any XP Pro CD if it is a VLK?

Thanks again for the assistance.

#6 jchedot

jchedot

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:35 PM

If it was installed with a VLK the key will not work with a retail version of the CD
I finally got it all together, now if I could just remember where I put it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users