Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Not Working

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 kg1234

kg1234

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

First time poster -- I've gotten my share of problems resolved by reading what others have posted, so I thought I would give it a shot.

I'm trying to get an old Dell up and running for my 4 year old niece to use for her games. It boots up fine, but neither the mouse nor the keyboard will work. I have tried multiple mice/keyboards that I have here, but none of them will work. I have read some suggestions to go here or go there, but with my not being able to select a User Account I can't get to Start or anywhere else. Any suggestions??

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hi and welcome to BC.

Is this a Laptop or desktop?? If it's a laptop you can always use the touhpad. According on how you described the situation, it seems that you are using a desktop that has no touchpad. Can you tell me what kind of mouse and keyboard you are using?

regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 30 April 2008 - 04:03 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 kg1234

kg1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:16 PM

Extremeboy,

It is a desktop -- both the mouse and keyboard are the Dell brand that came with the PC when I originally purchased them.

Thanks for getting back to me.

kg

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:24 PM

ssshhhhh...but ........have you checked they are plugged in correctly and into the right sockets?

then there is this http://tech.yahoo.com/gd/windows-xp-keyboa...sn-t-work-/3064

OR; can you get into the mouse control in the control panel and see what settings it has?

also the keyboard control panel?

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-267091.php

Figured this one out on my own. The key rate was slowed
down so each key had to be held down for a couple of
seconds to register.

any use?

#5 kg1234

kg1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

Have checked those multiple times -- everything is plugged in correctly. I can't get past the User Account page so I can't get to the control panel.

Thanks!

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:55 PM

Hi,
Try unplugging it and leave it out for a few days. After a few days plug it back in and see if it works, that's how I got my mouse working. If that still doesn't work uh... try other mouses/keyboards that's the only thing I can think of.

regrads,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

The mice and keyboards you've tried, were they usb or ps/2? If this computer was sitting for a while you might want to change the motherboard battery. I know you said the keyboard doesn't work, but try going into the BIOS and let us know if you can
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 kg1234

kg1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

I tried both a USB and PS/2 -- I'm going to try leaving it off for a day or two. Then I'll try getting into the BIOS.

Thanks for all your help. I will get back to you and let you know how things turn out.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:35 AM

Can you get into the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 kg1234

kg1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:51 AM

dc3,

Sorry, was having U-verse installed yesterday and was down for most of the day.

I can get into the BIOS -- what should I do in there?

Thanks!!!

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:04 PM

I'm not sure exactley where to look, but some where in there it mentions enable / disable Legacy USB. You can try changing that. Another thought is to change you motherboard battery
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 kg1234

kg1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

Thanks -- I'll give that a try.

#13 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:50 PM

Hi,
Give that a try and tell us if there's any promblem or questions soon.
Good luck

Regards,
Extremeboy

#14 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:06 PM

of interest, what is the computer clock TIME showing in the bottom right hand corner? IS it correct?

#15 kg1234

kg1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

I disabled the USB in the BIOS, rebooted, enabled them, then rebooted again and everything is working fine. Thanks to all of you for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users