Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Share Folder Problems...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bobo81

bobo81

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:49 AM

Okay...user A and user B both have admin privileges. User A creates a sharefolder and adds user B to full control of all folder. When trying to access the folder, B cannot so A needs to go back and add B into the security list as well! NOW, B is able to see and open documents.... But here is the main problem - any new document added to the folder from A, B cannot open. It says B does not have access permission or something like this. However, if A goes and removes B and adds B again in permission, B can now access this new file.

What the heck is going on??? First of all I thought you only had to add someone in the "permissions" area and not in the Security area. I believe Security should be only you(A), admin and computer.

Any help on this????

BTW this is WIN XP SP2 or 2 Professional Ed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:21 AM

Hmmm, if User A and User B are both Administrators then try giving permissions to the Administrators group as a whole rather than just to individual users.

#3 bobo81

bobo81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:18 AM

Hmmm, if User A and User B are both Administrators then try giving permissions to the Administrators group as a whole rather than just to individual users.

Yeah, both A and B are local admins on their own PCs. Do you think it will still work? I guess I will give it a shot.

Aside from the share folder itself, any other ideas where a problem might be happening?

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:06 PM

It's difficult to say. Permissions on Windows NT 4 and higher, using NTFS, are more confusing and tangled than a plate full of spaghetti. It could be inheritance, it could be that your computer is plotting your eventual demise so that it can assume your identity and slowly take over the world. Such is the complexity of Windows Folder Permissions.

#5 bobo81

bobo81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:11 AM

It's difficult to say. Permissions on Windows NT 4 and higher, using NTFS, are more confusing and tangled than a plate full of spaghetti. It could be inheritance, it could be that your computer is plotting your eventual demise so that it can assume your identity and slowly take over the world. Such is the complexity of Windows Folder Permissions.

Andrew I just realized that the Admin group also has full privileges. The thing is when I try this with others it is working perfectly. I believe there is something in "A's" PC which might be doing this but I have NO clue as to what it could be.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:24 AM

Are both PC's on a domain or a simple LAN?

#7 bobo81

bobo81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:29 PM

Yes both are on our domain...company's domain that is.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:54 PM

Make sure you're using the domain usernames, rather than local names to assign permissions. Domain usernames are like this: username@domain

So if your domain is called bar and the user is foo, you'd put foo@bar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users