Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Operating At A Snails Pace...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 duroche

duroche

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:29 AM

Running a home computer that at times runs very slow... I've performed scans through anitmalare malware bytes and search and destroy and don't have any problems on that end...

however, I'm sure I have other "issues" that are causing my computer to act as it is...

I have 882 MB of free space left of 38.2 GB ... I have 768 RAM... my capacity if FULL

what the hell do i do?

thank you in advance...

sincerely,

miffed in the midwest...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

There are a lot of other things beside malicious software that can cause your computer to run slowly...

1. You don't seem to have much free space left on your hard drive. Consider doing some house cleaning. Remove some
of the programs that you no longer use. After you have used your computer for a while you may be surprised as to the
amount of junk that you collect. If some of these files are invaluable burn them to a CD and keep them on hand for the
times that you need them.

2. Keep an eye on running processes...You may have a lot of things running that you don't need...Turning of some of these
will help performance.

3: How often do you De-fragment your hard drive. You need to do this from time to time to keep your hard drive in good
running order.

4. Do you have more than one of the same types of Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware running in the background at the same time?

5. You may consider doing a clean install of windows providing that you have a valid XP CD to boot from. Consider adding
a couple of more partitions and install windows on the first one. Use the other two for Data storage and Music, Video,
Pictures storage. Windows will run much quicker if it is installed in a smaller partition close to the end of the disk. There
are several tutorials on doing this here just click on the "Tutorials" tab at the top of the page. This process is really
pretty easy just remember that when you are prompted for the partition size it will be measured in MB rather GB.
For instance if you want a 4GB partition it will actually be 4000MB when inserted at the prompt. How big you make them
is pretty much up to you. Windows doesn't require that much space to run but keep in mind that you will want to have
your printer and other things installed on this partition too. You can always make it smaller using "Computer
Management Utility" later.

There also is a topic pinned to the top of this page titled "Slow Computer?"...Read thru there for more ideas...Good Luck

Edited by douglas martin, 30 April 2008 - 09:14 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:29 AM

On a 40 gig partition, windows needs about 15% free to defrag, that's 6000MB, you have some serious cleaning to do

When your system partition starts to fill up, your swap file runs out of room, windows become heavily fragmented, you start to get file system errors and then windows crashes and you lose everything.

Sort of like running your car without changing the oil or giving it a tuneup

Start with deleting or moving data from the hard drive, disk cleanup can probably find a lot of temp files to kill

don't use drive compression to make more room, that will only make matters worse

buy an external hard drive
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:31 AM

The rule of thumb is that you need between ten and fifteen percent of free space on the hard drive for swap space, exceeding this will slow your computer with that alone.

There are two things that you can do to solve this, purchase a second hdd and transfer the files that you don't use often to it. Or you can transfer those files used less often to either CDs or DVDs. If it still runs slow after this then there are other things that can be addressed.

Running two anti virus application can result in false positives, but I don't think that this is what is causing you problem in the case. You can have two of more anti malware applications with having to worry about conflicts between them.

Edit: Chewy, it seems that once again I'm writing about the same time that you are posting.

Edited by dc3, 30 April 2008 - 10:33 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users