Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Card Slight Issue?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Parksy

Parksy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:44 AM

Hiya guys its been a while since i was on the forum, but again could do with some excellent advice!! You havent failed me yet :thumbsup:

Xp SP2, AN M2-HD, AMD 64 X2 2gb ram, , 160gb Maxtor *DWL-520+ network card (pci)

Now everything has been working excellent, and still is......BUT!

When I first installed the network card it worked fine, but then needed that pci slot empty, so had to move the card from 1 slot to another. Installed again and works fine in the next slot. Only problem is when I first log into windows, i get 1 then 2 dlink symbols in system tray, as though both slots r trying to load. Then they dissappear into 1 green working dlink symbol in system tray.
Im thinking that maybe the registry is still trying to load the card in the previous position??? Is there anything else anyone can suggest, ive ran all the usual programs, searched through the registry but cant sort it.

Annoying as it takes 10 seconds or so before the card works and the symbol turns green.

Any help would be great, thanks

Parksy!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:18 AM

Hi Parksy.
Did you uninstall the cards drivers and utility before you moved it?
Do you see two identical startup entries in msconfig for it?
Does DM show two identical wirless adapters?
Also, make sure it's not trying to use both the windows built-in wireless configuration and the cards wireless utility at the same time.

Edited by HitSquad, 30 April 2008 - 07:24 AM.

#3 Parksy

Parksy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:52 AM

Hiya hitdquad, thanks for the quick reply!

I may not have uninstalled the utility before moving but defo with the driver.

Only one entry in startup via msconfig.......

DM only detects the one card/adapter....

I have the windows wireless disabled....

Do yuo think it would help totally uninstalling driver and utility, shutting down, taking the card out then booting, adding the driver, then shutdown, install adapter, boot up then add the wireless utility~??

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users