Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp Cutting Out Every 2/3 Hours!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 John in Oman

John in Oman

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:42 PM

I have XP Pro on my Athlon PC. It has recently started to cut out regularly. Never lasts more than 3 hours if I am lucky. I unplug it and switch the plugs off. 20 minutes or so later it will fire up as though nothing had happened, then off we go again with another cut out at any time.

Can someone kindly tell me what they think might be wrong. It doesn't seem to be over heated. Maybe it is a case of slow death!

Thanks in anticipation.

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:49 PM

You may not think it's overheating, but I would still recommend that you open your computer case and make sure all the fans are spinning okay and that there isn't an excessive amount of dust in there that would impede air flow. See the following Bleeping Computer tutorial for guidance on cleaning inside your computer.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC

Also, have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the shut-downs.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories (Application, Security, System and Internet Explorer).

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:43 PM

Thank you Budapest. Hope I can do it before it cuts out next time. Only last about 30 minutes last time!

#4 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:06 AM

Well I have done that but nothing shows in any section (none for Int Exp) for the time of the last cut out. There are lots of ESSENTS plus a number of Service Control Manager notices. I will now wait for the next c/o and see if it registers anything then although I am not entirely clear what I am looking for. I am sorry for my dumbness!

#5 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:49 AM

I am now back in and nothing is registered at the time of cut out. The following came up in the box after right clicking application however..

C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\config\AppEvent.EvtC:\WINDOWS.0\system32\config\AppEvent.EvtC:\WINDOWS.0\system32\config\AppEvent.EvtC:\WINDOWS.0\system32\config\AppEvent.EvtC:\WINDOWS.0\system32\config\AppEvent.EvtC:\WINDOWS.0\system32\c

That seems to go on ad infinitum.

Does this help or have I done the wrong thing?

Thanks aagain.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:00 AM

Do you get a Blue Screen of Death error message when it cuts out?

If not, I would still suspect overheating. Did you check inside the case?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:10 AM

No Blue screen of death just goes blank as if pulling the plug. Yes I have looked and cleaned inside. not much dust but all hoovered out. Fans spinning OK.

Could it be a virus? I do have things like AVG which never finds anything.

#8 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:30 AM

I have found just one Error from yesterday.

module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

But this is the only one and there have been many cut outs.

I found some earlier Warnings but they were generally about not being able to open a file because of something else in use etc. Hope this is beginning to help a bit Budapest.

Edited by John in Oman, 30 April 2008 - 01:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users