Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Up Ram

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bloodysafety

bloodysafety

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:13 PM

I would like to talk about RAM. I have 3GB ddr2 ram and should be able to play just about any game I want to without freezes but I can't. even when the pc is at it's most idle state (excepting resident scanners and what not) I am constantly using at least 27% if my ram. heck right at this moment I'm using 41% i only have a browser, windows media player and task manager open. a few months ago I never had this problem. I routinely run maintenance programs and still can't free up memory. I shut down processes that I don't need or use (like groovemoniter) and still nothing. I have noticed however that most of my processes are svchost.exe and that is what is eating up precious RAM. is there really a need to have so many instances running all the time?

any pointers or insights on this would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:37 PM

svchost.exe is normal and is used by your system and services. I have 7 instances running at this moment.

To check them out, use a program such as Process Explorer which will give you a much better insight into what your PC is doing than Task Manager does.

Info and download link on this page - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

(scvhost.exe - note spelling difference - is bad and should be investigated further.)

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 29 April 2008 - 10:50 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 bloodysafety

bloodysafety
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:22 PM

thanks but how many instances are too many i have upwards of 20 goin' on. also you wouldn't happen to know how to see what programs are running in the backround besides using process explorer or task manager would you? if so can they be disabled?

#4 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:06 PM

You might have a look here:

http://www.blackviper.com/

I would recommend using the safe options first.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:41 PM

I am constantly using at least 27% if my ram.

that vista for you, but it shouldn't be causing game crashes, something else is wrong

3 gigs is an odd number, did you order it that way or was memory added to the original setup?

what cpu?

what video card??

what games are crashing?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 bloodysafety

bloodysafety
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:41 AM

I boought it at best buy and it came with 3gigs ddr2 Ram

it has an amd 64 x2 dual core processor

graphics card - nvida 8600 GTS

I know some of the games crash due to bugs (gothic 3) butothers crash and the pc tells me it ran out of memory.

why is 3 gigs odd?

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:43 AM

This tutorial may help
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:08 AM

I've recently read something about asynchronous DDR2 settings that enable a system to run different size modules in dual channel mode. As I recall, it stated that it's faster than not running in dual channel mode, but slower than having matched modules in synchronous mode. I've seen quite a few of these systems and chalk it up to a marketing gimmick. The reasoning (I suppose) is that it's better to have 3 gB that the customer can see, than to have 4 gB where the customer can only see 3.26 gB of it. And, it'll decrease the service calls from customers asking "Where's the rest of my RAM?"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:36 AM

I suspect the matching 512's might not play well with the matching 1 gig sticks

each motherboard/chipset/bios would be different tho

intel claimed to be able to keep dual channel working with non matched pairs, I had one guy who kept quoting it but every time he removed the old smaller pair his computer sped up

Another poster pulled his old lame ram and installed premium low cas ram in an amd64 computer, voltage was fine but he kept crashing mid way thru a long heavy duty video conversion, the single core cpu was not overheating, memtest86 could run for days no errors

He upgraded his bios and the problem went away
Chewy

#10 bloodysafety

bloodysafety
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:35 AM

I suspect the matching 512's might not play well with the matching 1 gig sticks

each motherboard/chipset/bios would be different tho

intel claimed to be able to keep dual channel working with non matched pairs, I had one guy who kept quoting it but every time he removed the old smaller pair his computer sped up

Another poster pulled his old lame ram and installed premium low cas ram in an amd64 computer, voltage was fine but he kept crashing mid way thru a long heavy duty video conversion, the single core cpu was not overheating, memtest86 could run for days no errors

He upgraded his bios and the problem went away

what??? you'll have to either dumb this down or educate me here. are you saying I can tell the cpu to use one processor another to work on a single app?

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:14 AM

there's no dumbing down this ram technology, it's extrememly complicated and even after years of experience it can be intimidating

many technicians still just rely on plug and pray to test or fix problems

I use a program called cpu-z

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

to compare the cas levels of each stick

you might also have some luck optimizing vista

have you checked for the latest video drivers?
Chewy

#12 Darklite

Darklite

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:04 PM

Hey Blood

Try running a Spybot or spyware killer of your preference. Some hidden spywares will present as running items. Then reduce the number of items in your boot up. I have found on many different types of machines that more is not better. For example, why have a app start up unless you use it everytime you boot?

There are more aggressive tasks to use if this does not work.

Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users