Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi! I'm New Here

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LSUZ28

LSUZ28

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

Hello everyone!
I've read a little in this forum and I decided to join since I am in need of a little assistance. I'm looking for a little help with the security center in Windows Vista. My problem is that security center is telling me that I do not have antivirus installed or windows defender activated, but I do. I am running the latest free version of AVG antivirus from Grisoft(8.0), and I let Windows Defender run every night. Recently, the windows security center is telling me that neither is functional. I've tried updating the definitions of both and running full scans, but that does not seem to change anything. I ran a Hijack this report, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I'm going to look around here and see what I can find here. If anyone has had similar issues, or can help with interpreting the hijackthis report, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 29 April 2008 - 10:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,558 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:27 AM

Welcome to BC LSUZ28

FAQs Windows Security Center

Windows Security Center uses a two-tiered approach for detection status. One tier is manual, and the other tier is automatic through Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). In manual detection mode, Windows Security Center searches for registry keys and files that are provided to Microsoft by independent software manufacturers. These registry keys and files let Windows Security Center detect the status of independent software. In WMI mode, software manufacturers determine their own product status and report that status back to Windows Security Center through a WMI provider.

Windows Security Center will try to tell you about antivirus or firewall programs installed on your computer. However, if a manufacturer decides not to participate, the Security Center will not be able to detect the manufacturer's programs.

It is the responsibility of the anti-virus or firewall vendor to design their software so that it will be recognized by the Windows Security Center. The vendor also must submit the information to Microsoft so the Windows operating system catalog can be updated with the software signature addition.

Sometimes, the Security Center stops recognizing an antivirus or firewall program. Here is one possible solution that may work:
  • Click on Start > Run and type: services.msc
  • Press OK.
  • Click the "Extended tab" at the bottom to view all the info on your services.
  • Scroll down the list and find the service called Windows Managament Instrumentation.
  • When you find the service, double-click on it or right-click and choose "Properties".
  • In the Properties Window > General Tab that opens, click the "Stop" button.
  • From the drop-down menu next to "Startup Type", make sure its set to "Automatic".
  • Exit and return to your desktop.
  • Right click Start and choose Explore.
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\system32\wbem\repository
  • Delete or rename this subdirectory ONLY.
  • Close Windows Explorer when done and reboot your computer.
This will rebuild the deleted folder and the database. Once restarted, Windows Security Center should show the correct information and antivirus/firewall should be recognized.

If that does not resolve the problem, see:
"How to Disable Antivirus Alerts When Security Center Does Not Detect Installed Anti-virus["

Note: Some Anti-virus programs will disable the Windows Security Center in order to take care of things themselves. For example, when the McAfee Security Center is selected as the default security center, it turns off alerts within the Windows Security Center so that the Windows Security Center will no longer notify you if your firewall and/or antivirus are disabled.

Edited by quietman7, 30 April 2008 - 10:30 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 LSUZ28

LSUZ28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:02 PM

Thanks! I'll give that a try when I get home tonight.

#4 LSUZ28

LSUZ28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:06 PM

Welcome to BC LSUZ28

Sometimes, the Security Center stops recognizing an antivirus or firewall program. Here is one possible solution that may work:

• Click on Start > Run and type: services.msc
  • Press OK.
  • Click the "Extended tab" at the bottom to view all the info on your services.
  • Scroll down the list and find the service called Windows Managament Instrumentation.
  • When you find the service, double-click on it or right-click and choose "Properties".
  • In the Properties Window > General Tab that opens, click the "Stop" button.
  • From the drop-down menu next to "Startup Type", make sure its set to "Automatic".
  • Exit and return to your desktop.
  • Right click Start and choose Explore.
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\system32\wbem\repository
  • Delete or rename this subdirectory ONLY.
  • Close Windows Explorer when done and reboot your computer.
This will rebuild the deleted folder and the database. Once restarted, Windows Security Center should show the correct information and antivirus/firewall should be recognized.

I followed the steps above and everything seems to be back to normal. Thanks quietman7! I appreciate your help. :thumbsup:

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,558 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:27 AM

You're welcome. :thumbsup:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif