Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Troubles?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:12 PM

Upon rebooting my PC I thought all was normal until the POST screen. everything checked ok until the bottom said "Master Drive 1 (Hard Drive) Status, BAD Backup and Replace. Press F1 to Resume. This Hard Drive is not even 3 months old. Is it going bad already? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:14 PM

The message you receive does indicate your hard drive is bad. If you can, back up anything you don't want to lose and do it ASAP. You could have gotten a defective drive, check the warranty. You may be able to get a replacement.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:41 PM

Did the message say SMART bad?

If the hdd is made by one of the major manufacturers you should be able to go to their web site and download their diagnostic tool. You will need to burn this to a CD, and then you can boot from this to test the hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:56 PM

I dont believe so. THe drive is indeed warrantied tho. I guess I'll have to replace it again =X

Thanks for the replies

P.S. What would that mean if it said SMART bad?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:13 AM

The hdd industry initiated a test system that has become an industry standard, the acronym is S.M.A.R.T., Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology. This usually is enabled in the BIOS and when the SMART fails it will appear in the post as SMART bad.

If you get this message it means that your hdd is facing an imminent failure.

Edited by dc3, 01 May 2008 - 08:14 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:47 PM

I learn something new everyday, haha. Thanks for that.

#7 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:55 PM

Ok, so I booted up my PC this morning and got that hard drive error message. Master Drive 4 S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace. I'm alo hearing strange noises so I opened up EVEREST and looked around abit and saw this in the SMART tab (Spin Up Pre-Failure: Imminent loss of data is being predicted)

I'm not too computer savvy but I'm sure that means imminent failure? It's under warranty and I backed up already so if it bites teh big one im not royally screwed. :thumbsup:

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:31 PM

That's about all you can do. Even with the best of components there are failures, such is life.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:49 AM

One additional step you can take: Download and run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive, use the long test if there is a long one and a short one.

This would be a necessary step in attempting to RMA the drive...for more details re RMA procedures, consult the website of the hard drive manufacturer.

Louis

#10 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:40 PM

Now when I boot up my PC I don't get any SMART errors or any errors for that matter. I even check the event viewer multiple times, device manager, even EVEREST. no errors. Bizarre. Should I still expect a random failure? lol

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:17 AM

Use your Everest to see what your hdd is and go to their web site and download their diagnostic tool. You will need to burn this to a CD, and you will need to enter the BIOS to make you CD-ROM the first device in the boot order. Put the CD in and restart the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users